Amp Stability of Zapco

Participant count
  • Participant list

dirtypool
10+ year member

I have an old Zapco Z150 from the early 90's, possibly late 80's.

I am trying to decide where to use the amp. Previously I had it bridged to a 12" Pyle Pro Series II sub. (old timer I guess) I also have an old Redline series II sub.

Should I use it on my subs (thinking of a pair of 10" Alusonic or Kappa Perfects)?

Or should I use it on my front comps (Focal 6.5")?

Is it 2 ohm stable when bridged? cant find it on website, cant find it in forums, cant find owners manual. Does it have enough power for those subs? What do you think of those subs for an ext cab chevy truck 2004?

Open for suggestions.

Thanks.

Rob

I have 2 Infinity Kappa 12" perfects in the back of my ride amped..... I think that the Zapco amp would benefit you the most if the subs were amped. I believe that most component sets are anywere between 50 watts rms to 150 watts? So.... if you hooked the Zapco amp to the components and set your gains really low you would still be sending too much to the components, where as the subs, if you get an Infinity or something are ment to handle power like that. (In my opinion.) I have some Alpine components in the front and I just used a 200 watt amp to amp those and they sound just fine.

Thanks.

I'll get another amp, but should I get an amp for my subs and use the Zap on the highs or get a new amp for the highs and use the Zap on the subs?

You think the perfects would be better than the Alusonics?

it all hinges on how many watts that amp can cleanly produce. eaither;

1. get it bench tested

2. email zapco and ask for the manulal PDF or specs

then decide if it has enough wattage for subs, or if its perfect (between 50 and 150w RMS per channel) for the highs.

if its lower wattage per channel, id amp the highs with it- and get a new amp for a pair of subs.

What are some examples of class D amps?

I was thinking of Audison amps. Are they better than Zapco?

I think that amp is 75x2 at 4 ohms. So it would be a good fit for Focals. I will get a new amp for the subs.

Audison, soundstream, zapco, any other suggestions?

I'm looking for sound quality more than spl.

I was thinking one of the monoblock amps for the subs in the 400 watt range. That should be enough for a pair of Perfect 10's or Alusonic 10's right?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.