Amp shutting off for a couple seconds at a time at mid-high volume

Participant count
  • Participant list

ibcurly

Warning: Lengthy explanations ahead.

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix

My system was installed by best buy, i lack the know-how to do it myself so sorry if i need a lot of explaining.

I have a JL Audio 250/1 Amp with a Diamond 12 inch ported sub. I do not know the specs of the sub because i got it as a present from a friend. (It was his old setup and he knows alot about this stuff so i assume the amp and sub are fully compatible)

After best buy installed it, the setup has been working flawlessly for over 2 years (apart from needing a battery replacement over a year ago, but the previous battery was the original one, so i think its understandable)

Starting about a month ago, i noticed my sub will cut out for a couple seconds at a time when i have it at mid to high volume. I took a look at the amp while this was happening and i saw that the LED light for the amp would turn off for the couple of seconds.

(The problem happens whether i have it running for a long time or if i have just started up the car, so its not overheating)

I looked online for the manual to the amp and it stated:

There is only one condition that will shutdown an undamaged 250/1 completely…

If battery voltage drops below 10 volts, the entire

amplifier will shut itself off.The green “Power”

indicator on the top of the amplifier will turn off

when this occurs.The amplifier will turn back on

when voltage climbs back above 10 volts... If this is happening in

your system, have your charging system inspected to

make sure it is working properly. A 0.5 or 1.0 Farad

rapid-discharge capacitor connected in parallel to

the amplifier power connections may minimize

these short duration voltage dips in many systems

that are having this problem.

For information on troubleshooting this

amplifier, refer to Appendix D
Then in appendix D...

“MY AMPLIFIER SHUTS OFF ONCE IN A WHILE, USUALLY AT HIGHER VOLUMES”Check your voltage source and grounding point.The R.I.P.S. power

supply is rated to operate with source voltages between

11 - 14.5V. Shutdown problems at higher levels can occur

when the charging system voltage drops below 10-volts.These

dips can be of very short duration making them extremely

difficult to detect with a common DC voltmeter.To ensure

proper voltage, inspect all wiring and termination points. It is

also a good idea to improve the vehicle’s factory ground wire

and termination point.
So i checked my grounding wires, they are both extremely tight and attached to metal where the paint has been scraped off.

Since the sub plays perfectly well when the volume was below the certain volume it takes for a big sub hit to cut out the amp, i figured it was an electrical problem and needed a capacitor as the manual stated.

So i took it to best buy and had the guy check it out just to see what he would say.

He said he checked the fuses and wiring and it was all good.

He checked the voltage of the amp, and he said it wasnt dropping below the threshold. (which is troubling to me)

He said he hooked up another sub with the same wiring and blasted it, and he said that sub worked fine.

His conclusion was that my sub must be dying.

He explained that as the sub hits big, something inside it might be loose causing it to shut off.

I read somewhere that a sub short circuit could cause an amp to go into protect mode, so this might make sense? but...

My worries: I think the amp could be getting insufficient power for such a brief moment that he didn't detect it (As the manual states this could happen) And that the sub he hooked up to test just didnt pull enough power to shut down the amp as my sub does. Which would mean i just need a capacitor.

My question:

Do you guys think my sub is faulty or is my amp starving for power?

I will do my best to give any information needed! Thank you so much for any help //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I just don't want to waste money on something that isn't broken and wont fix the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your amp is only 250 rms. Not a very power hungry amp at all. Anyway you check all your cables, so why not turn down the gain and see if its happening. Could be clipping or something else

A sub does NOT pull any kind of power from an amp. If gains were set by ear then you may be clipping. turn it down. More details on your equipment will help us in helping you

Yes, clipping will shorten the life span of your system. Have you lowered your gains on the amp? While your at it, turn off any bass boost you have on the amp. Remove the sub from the box, on the magnet it will has all the details of your sub. How your sub is wired? Which model amp are you running?

On the amp the gain is set to less than half, on my headset ive had the bass boost at zero, no loudness boost, and the EQ at flat. Because i read that boosting it through the headset causes distortion and i like sound quality lol.

so i dont think there is clipping

My amp model is JL audio 250/1

I guess the next step is to take out the sub from the box

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.