amp shuts off

amp is clipping or in protect mode. needs more voltage from your car. get a capacitor or bigger altenator or battery!!!!!!!!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

The amp is goin into protect mode from being over driven to run the 15's. The only way you can fix this is to get a bigger amp. A JBL 600.1 should do good for your situation. The amp is going into protect mode from overheating because its too small to run a pair of 15's. Get a bigger amp.

1 other thing, a capacitor is useless, dont waste money on one. Always get a bigger alternator if you need more power of your charging system.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

caps are not useless at all, however they are missued. I would also recomend a new alternator, but in addition cappacitors are great to have in addition. They discharge there power many times faster than a battery can hence feeded the amps the power they need to quick serges. Most people find them useless because they try to use them to fix their weak electrical system, they only work well if your elctrical system is already preforming well, then they help it to be even better.

Originally posted by evo2k3 caps are not useless at all, however they are missued. I would also recomend a new alternator, but in addition cappacitors are great to have in addition. They discharge there power many times faster than a battery can hence feeded the amps the power they need to quick serges. Most people find them useless because they try to use them to fix their weak electrical system, they only work well if your elctrical system is already preforming well, then they help it to be even better.
I agree to some of what you said, but discharging faster than a battery has no bearing, you shouldn't be tapping a battery while the engine is on.. it's all alternator..

The only time I think a cap can help is if you have a slow regulator in your charging system and it can't get the field current up fast enough to prevent headligh 'blinking'.. but then, the amplifier is supposed to have internal caps for that.. Some amps (like mine I guess) don't have big enough caps.. In that context (and only that context) a cap might help..

Originally posted by samf03 I have two four ohm single voice coil MTX 6000 15's pushed by a JBL 180.2 amp. At high volume and when the bass hits low the amp quits putting out sound and the light on the amp turns red from green. What is causing this? Please help I have been trying to figure this out for months.
But to this point.. yes, you seem to be overdriving your amp.. you need a bigger amp.. It could also be power starvation .. does loud volumes cause your lights to dim (and stay dim) when this happens? If so, might be lack of power.. but I'd guess it's overdriving the amp..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.