Amp shuts off when starting car

Participant count
  • Participant list

TombaDude

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello. I have a problem with my Ground Zero sub amp (can't remember the exact model but it's one of the older piano black finished 220W @ 4 ohm models). I have it hooked up to an Alpine SBG-1044BR sub and it plays nice. The problem is, when I'm sitting in the car, ACC on and listening to music and then start the car, the amp goes to protection mode. It starts working again when I shut off my head unit and turn it back on. Positive is wired straight to battery with 20mm2 cable and ground is solid (under seatbelt bolt). Positive is shared with another amp running 2-way speaker set and it stays on when starting the car. What can cause this? Maybe voltage drop puts it in protection? Solutions? Thanks. (Ps I'm new here don't judge :D)

Your guess sounds like the best answer. Does it have a remote wire as well? Sounds like key switch power interrupt is the main problem. In my limited knowledge, if the music is playing it creates a load on the amp, when you switch the ignition, power is cut to the amp even though the HU is still sending a signal to the amp. Amp goes oh crap! and shuts down.

I know, old thread, but I confirmed it's because of the voltage drop during starting. What would be the easiest fix to this problem? Would a capacitor make any difference by keeping the amp powered for the short while the voltage drops?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.