Amp recommendation for a 12W7

Chitownss10

So currently I have a single 12W7ae in the high output box paired with a jl xd500.1

I’m looking into getting a more powerful amp that would absolutely drain my bank account. Have had my eye on the Skar Sk-1500.1 has anyone used their amps before? and would it be a good amp to push the w7?

It would work yes but no one here will recommend Skar. For that price I’d rather use the US Acoustics Mike. If you want to stick with JL, go to creative audio and they have a JL RD1000/1 refurb for $350 and after 10% coupon, $315. Others will recommend Taramps

single 3 ohm, Md1800.1 2
Ohm version woth gains set very conservatively would good. Low
Strain on electrical since you won’t be using full juice to run that sub. $200

40$ less and you could grab an md1200 2 ohm which should put out about 1k at 3ohm at 14v

a good amp to push the w7?
You must keep in mind that the W7 is 750w rms. Just last night I refoamed my 12W7. To test it, I hooked it up to my xd600.1 and it sounded fantastic. This was done indoors and the walls were shaking with the gain at 25% and at 80hz. In the truck it may sound less impressive, but for now I will use it with the xd.

What Bcotrell said. MD1800.1 2 ohm version. Wired to 3 ohm should give you about 1,400watts. Is this sub dual DVC3 or SVC3? Starting with double the rms of the sub is a good starting point. Then you can account for impedance rise and have some headroom so the amp isn't pushed so hard.

It would work yes but no one here will recommend Skar. For that price I’d rather use the US Acoustics Mike. If you want to stick with JL, go to creative audio and they have a JL RD1000/1 refurb for $350 and after 10% coupon, $315. Others will recommend Taramps

Any real noticeable differences between the JD series and RD? The jd1000/1 puts out around the same rms as the rd 1000/1 but can get the jd series new for the same price as the rd

Any real noticeable differences between the JD series and RD? The jd1000/1 puts out around the same rms as the rd 1000/1 but can get the jd series new for the same price as the rd
The JD is their entry level and the RD is the next step up. I don’t know the exact differences as they both have NexD but I’m assuming the RD has better components and build quality. I’d go with the RD of the two. Some say the RD rivals the XD line and sounds “better.” Of course that’s all subjective. JL refurbs come with a 90 day warranty and I can vouch they deliver. I had to send in one of mine (popped it when messing with the fix and twk, still not sure what happened). Anyways, they mailed me a brand new amp shortly after getting my blown one.

Seriously, just stick with the MD1800 2 ohm version. It's cheaper, easier on your electrical, and you will have headroom if you want to add another sub in the future.

JL and value don’t mix. But I do like their CS and network. I’ve never had an issue. I even bought an amp used that was missing some screws and top plate and emailed them to see if I could purchase them and they ended up sending it for free.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.