Amp Poll

Which amp would you recommend (sub $150-ish)?

• Pioneer GM-D8604

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Infinity Reference 475a

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • PPI BK800.4

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • Other (please list recommendation)

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters

amcardon

OKC
Wasn't in the market for an amp but recently purchased a 2013 Hyundai Elantra for a run-around car and the sound is atrocious. I've tried looking around on here and other forums for recommendations and holy hell are there enough amps out there to confuse the crap out of a guy...

To try and make this easy (and unfortunately show my naivety) here is a poll with 3 amp options (or #4 - Other). I'm not looking to spend a lot, preferably sub $150 if possible.

In no particular order:

#1 - Pioneer GM-D8604

#2 - Infinity 475a

#3 - PPI BK800.4

#4 - Other

I have a couple NIB speakers sitting in the garage that I'd like to use. For the front I plan on using a set of Polk DB651 and for rear JBL GTO638. Not sure if that makes a difference, but figured it wouldn't hurt to list. Doubt I'll ever hook in a sub, but if I do I'll run a dedicated amp for it...

I spend a lot of time on certain forums and I hate when guys create an account, ask a question, take their answer and bail. And now I feel like a turd for doing them same. I apologize, but I really would appreciate some guidance. Thanks in advance.

Other or three.

For what you're doing, an Execution Audio 60.4 would be good, a CT Sounds 60.4 would be better and a CT Sounds 75.4 would be best.

And don't feel bad about posting a question as a new user who doesn't plan to stay. You needed advice on car audio and you came to a car audio forum. You don't feel obligated to stop and visit your doctor twice a week when you're not sick, do you?

Other or three.
....CT Sounds would be better..
Not hijacking the thread, but we are both looking at the same types of budget amps that run about 100wattx4 with capability to bridge 2 of those channels if needed.

I just posted a topic on that Pioneer amp you linked as an option.

I understand why you prefer CT sounds, you are a vendor of the brand so you have some faith in it. Is the pioneer amp he listed bad? And if so, what about it makes it undesirable?

You mention you like the PPI amp of the choices (but prefer he go with CT sounds). What makes the PPI amp better? (I notice the PPI is an A/B class.. which puts it in an older class of tech,.. from what I've been told here is that Class D amps are no worse than A/B if you get reputable brands with good specs). As far as specs go on these amps the THD and such are all very good.

I think the OP will benefit from these questions as well,.. hope you don't mind amcardon.

Not hijacking the thread, but we are both looking at the same types of budget amps that run about 100wattx4 with capability to bridge 2 of those channels if needed.

I understand why you prefer CT sounds, you are a vendor of the brand so you have some faith in it. Is the pioneer amp he listed bad? And if so, what about it makes it undesirable?

You mention you like the PPI amp of the choices (but prefer he go with CT sounds). What makes the PPI amp better? (I notice the PPI is an A/B class.. which puts it in an older class of tech,.. from what I've been told here is that Class D amps are no worse than A/B if you get reputable brands with good specs). As far as specs go on these amps the THD and such are all very good.

I think the OP will benefit from these questions as well,.. hope you don't mind amcardon.
Not at all!

I suggest the PPI 900.4. It sounds great, is efficient, tiny, and gives you more headroom.

If you absolutely can't spend the extra money though, go with the BK.

XR-4S Listing

I run one of these and it's an itty-bitty powerhouse. 9.25"x7.5"x2" and 120x4 @ 4 ohms is awesome, imo. It also has dual power supplies and has active crossovers. There's a couple auctions for used ones if your looking for one that's even cheaper.

Ppi.I have ran the 800.4 and it gets no complaints from me.Sounded nice and clear.

Last edited by a moderator:

My answers were purely subjective, as this thread seems to be an opinion poll and not a specs comparison. But with that said, it's been my experience that Pioneer's budget amps are under performers. I have no experience with Infinity amps and that makes me neither qualified to recommend them or not, so I left that one out of my recommendation.

As for the difference between class a/b and class d there isn't enough, in my opinion, to make that a concern. I know that you have some cooling concerns with your mounting location so for you, it might be but generally speaking, a/b amps aren't a whole lot less efficient than class d amps and, it isn't as though an a/b amp is going to burn a hole in your carpet while operating normally. They simply run a little bit hotter than class ds and they use more current.

As far as published THD specs, not all manufacturer's use the same methodology and a lot of them fudge their specs so personally, I don't put a lot of stock in them, especially where budget amps are concerned because harmonic distortion has to be pretty bad to be audible and in most budget car audio builds, there are plenty of other things affecting sound quality in a negative manner so again, it's kind of a moot point. On the other hand, if you're comparing high end amps in a setup that's going to be heavily deadened, properly imaged and will be utilizing some sort of DSP, then THD becomes a factor.

And again, to clarify, that's my opinion. Take it for what it's worth and feel free to disagree. ;-)

ppi has been geting alot of love lately are they made by maxsonics?
No, they are part of the Epsilon group. Power Acoustik, Farenheit, SPL, Kole Audio and Soundstream are in the same company.

XR-4S Listing
I run one of these and it's an itty-bitty powerhouse. 9.25"x7.5"x2" and 120x4 @ 4 ohms is awesome, imo. It also has dual power supplies and has active crossovers. There's a couple auctions for used ones if your looking for one that's even cheaper.

Wow.. I'm in love with this amp. It's small -- I need small to fit in a specific location. It's Kenwood (I have had great success with Kenwood in the past).. It's the perfect power for my setup.

Kenwood eXcelon XR-4S 4-3-2 Channel Digital Amplifier

The THD is 1% --- Any cause for concern there guys?

Says 0.5% non bridged.. and 1% THD bridged (which bridged I will run to a single Sub).

If this amp is relatively clean.. I'm going to buy it.

Can anyone give me a thumbs up on this amp? I'm running 100watt RMS 6.5 components up front, and a single JL 8w1 sub at 150watts RMS off a Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD 4v pre-out headunit. If this amp is fairly clean power,.. I'm done looking for amps.

How do you guys weigh in on this particular amp? And thanks av83!

Wow.. I'm in love with this amp. It's small -- I need small to fit in a specific location. It's Kenwood (I have had great success with Kenwood in the past).. It's the perfect power for my setup.
Kenwood eXcelon XR-4S 4-3-2 Channel Digital Amplifier

The THD is 1% --- Any cause for concern there guys?

Says 0.5% non bridged.. and 1% THD bridged (which bridged I will run to a single Sub).

If this amp is relatively clean.. I'm going to buy it.

Can anyone give me a thumbs up on this amp? I'm running 100watt RMS 6.5 components up front, and a single JL 8w1 sub at 150watts RMS off a Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD 4v pre-out headunit. If this amp is fairly clean power,.. I'm done looking for amps.

How do you guys weigh in on this particular amp? And thanks av83!
A lot of people on forums will thumb their nose at it because it's a Kenwood and they're used to the run-of-the-mill, entry-level gear from them. But the Excelon amps are very nice. Don't worry about the thd rating. It sounds as good or better than several a/b amps, with supposedly lower distortion, that I've been through.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...