Amp output voltage very low?

ummmm ... maybe I missed something, but I think for your amp to play at a 4 ohm load it actually has to have a 4 ohm load (like a resistor) across the terminals. If there is no load, there will be no voltage drop to read.

ummmm ... maybe I missed something, but I think for your amp to play at a 4 ohm load it actually has to have a 4 ohm load (like a resistor) across the terminals. If there is no load, there will be no voltage drop to read.
I don't think the ohm load matters when measuring the voltage on a dmm. You just need a voltage reading. When your speakers are connected for a 4ohm load, that voltage will give you the wattage you need.

If I'm wrong, then there are a lot of people out there recommending this method of settings gains without knowing what they are talking about, including JL Audio. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

Ive had a problem of this before also. My amp needed to have a load before it would even read any volts. I ran a load through it and it worked fine. I could set voltage properly. Try to have your speakers hooked up when you do it. But do it fast cause it will ****ing scream god my ears hurt when I did mine.

Voltage is potential and does not need a load. You need the load to get current and thus power, but voltage is present even with an open circuit.
Yeah, that's what I thought. I don't know a lot about electronics but I just assumed that this is how it worked.

Ive had a problem of this before also. My amp needed to have a load before it would even read any volts. I ran a load through it and it worked fine. I could set voltage properly. Try to have your speakers hooked up when you do it. But do it fast cause it will ****ing scream god my ears hurt when I did mine.
Thank you!!!!

This is the kind of info I need.

Maybe its some sort of protection or power saving type deal with this amp.

I'll just test this out to see if the voltages are actually reading higher at lower volumes with speakers connected. If they are, I'll assume that this was the problem. No sense frying my speakers with a 1k test tone when I already know what volume I'm going to listen to.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.