Amp or no amp? Sensitivity

Participant count
  • Participant list

faive

I am planning to buy a brand new Nakamichi CD-400 head unit. I have heard a lot of good things about the MB Quart speakers. I am thinking about the MB components PSD213 for the front and for the rear MB Quart RKC 113.

I don´t like much the idea of buying an amplifier because of the extra money and because it will add more hiss/sound, in my experience.

I have also heard that Infinity speakers (I don´t know exactly wich model) are great speakers (with high sensitivity) that perform well off the head unit amplifier. The Nak, I think it is 47 watts.

I have these questions?

a) Do you think does MB Quart will ran well without the amplifier?

b) If they don´t, what would you choose: running the MB Quart with an amplifier or buying some Infinitys and running them without an amplifier?

c) Do you think Lightning Audio makes good amplifiers? I wouldn´t want to spend a lot?

What I am looking for is GREAT SQ. Also I don´t like hiss and any other "strange" sounds you get when you have an amplifier.

For great SQ what would you suggest? Thank you a lot.

If you experience hiss when amping speakers, either the speakers are bad or the settings are incorrect. My advice:

1) Please don't buy any speaker without hearing them first, but especially the MB's. They are a love/hate brand, it's not worth the risk to buy them based on other peoples opinions; the only opinion that matters is what sounds good to you.

2) Any good component set will sound vastly better when amped if done correctly. With a nice set of components of up front and an amp (think US Acoustics), you will have good sound, excellent imaging, and you won't need rear fill....although I think you don't need rear fill period.

What's your price range for the speakers and amp?

Thank you much for your reply. My problem is I live in Costa Rica. There are no hi fi audio stores here. I have a 2003 318i BMW. With my last car, a 1997 318i BMW I used a Nakamichi 40z (most wonderful SQ unit) and Boston Acoustics speakers, oh and a Nakamichi amplifier.

I heard a lot of good comments on the MB Quarts but have also heard good comments on the Infinity speakers.

I know I shouldnt get any hiss from an amplifier, but in my experience, the hiss is inevitable.

I would like to spend no more than +-$1000,oo on the head unit and speakers and the amplifiers. Please bear in mind, that any US price here will be 50% more because of duties. e.g. a speaker of $100, will cost me $150. The Nak CD-400 is 350 the rest will be on speakers. I could buy a Lightning Audio amp here in good price but dont know about the quality of Lightning Audio...

I also heard that the MB Quart are very deep and that wont necesarily fit in any vehicle. I dont know about my BMW.

So, basically Im pretty stuck here.

My only experience has been with Boston Acoustics speakers...but would like to change...

None. Just Polk Audio, go figure. Ohh, and of course, Pioneer, Aiwa, Sony but who would want to buy those?

Do you really think an amplifier is necesary. I like to have the more pure sound at all and I am afraid to lost it with an amplifier. I will use the Nak CD-400 for head unit.

Is this true about the Infinity Speakers doing well without an amplifier?

Trust me, if you have a good set of components with a properly installed amp, it will sound vastly better than the same speakers powered by an HU; I've seen this happen countless times. The problems you've experienced can be chalked up to user error, because if the install was done correctly, the problem wouldn't exist.

Are there any Pioneer Premier amps available locally?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.