Amp needs new Powersupply?????

No. No camera with me - i'll try to get some.
I looked at it though and didn't see anything burnt.
wish you were closer so i can look at the board and ohm out some components. who tested the amp and how do they know it is the power supply?

Took it to a car audio place, to test it to make sure the amp worked. They couldn't get it to work, so supposedly they opened it up and did something to it......then came back and told me it needs a new power supply????

THey wouldn't allow me to go back in their garage to see what they were doing because of some liability crap i guess.

Took it to a car audio place, to test it to make sure the amp worked. They couldn't get it to work, so supposedly they opened it up and did something to it......then came back and told me it needs a new power supply????
THey wouldn't allow me to go back in their garage to see what they were doing because of some liability crap i guess.
any fuses blown on the amp itself? maybe they told you it didn't work so you would buy one from them? i have seen this. anyway see if you can take pics of board when you get the chance.

The 'liability crap' is just that, crap. For 99.9% of insurance carriers you can go on the shop floor as long as you are with an employee and are not performing work yourself.

And it's an amp, it's not like they couldn't carry it in to you and show you the problem. They just didn't want to show you the problem so you could fix it yourself.

Most audio shops just want to sell you a new amp instead of fixing your existing equipment.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif yeah i figured.

The wife just got home, so i'm going to take the cover off and get a picture of it with her camera.

101_0547.jpg

101_0548.jpg

101_0549.jpg

101_0551.jpg

101_0552.jpg

101_0553.jpg

101_0554.jpg

101_0555.jpg

Surface-mount boards make me happy...

That aside, I can't find much wrong with the board.

- The FET in the center of the board (top of first pic) looks a little toasty.

- There are a couple stray solder blobs, but were probably designed to look that way.

I'd get more opinions on that FET, and take a minute to jiggle the capacitors (black cylinders) to make sure they are all solidly mounted and soldered.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.