Amp Mounting Location

gckless
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
San Antonio
I am wondering about the safety of the amp's distance to the sub. I am looking to install an amp directly in front of my sub, I'm talking about an inch clearance. Would this be really bad for it? I know that amount of vibration can't be good for it, but that's why amps have epoxy all over the boards, right? I can either put it in front of my box, or behind it, but I would like to display it, and if I threw it in back it would not be seen. The safety of the amp is obviously more important than a few people seeing it, but I am just wondering what risk I am taking by doing that.

A picture is attached to show you what I mean. I would like to save the right side of my trunk for now, so either in front of the sub or behind it are my options.

View attachment 26534607

The amp will be a DC 2.0k.

put it on the side of the box,thought you were getting the aq
Don't want to lose that side of the trunk just yet.

And I was going to, but I found a 2.0k slightly used for about the same price.

i don't recommend mounting amps to sub boxes simply because it limits your ability to move/remove the box at will. mount the amp out of the way in the trunk (sides or rear seats) so you can position the box in different ways, or remove it for storage. it also makes thieves work twice as hard.

Maybe I explained it wrong. My intentions were to mount the amp horizontally on a board in front of the sub, not directly attached to the box. I am just wondering how the vibrations and SPL's are going to affect it. I could either put it on that board in front of the box or behind it, but I would like to keep the right side of the trunk free.

Behind it would be my choice,if i were not placing it on that right side.If you decide to mount to the box, be sure to use some rubber spacers,or some kind of spacers, to keep the vibration down, and get more air circulation,rather than being flat mounted,is what Ive always done.Just looks like it would be a real pain in the *** if you had to get to your spare tire,if having a flat,Be heavy to remove together.I have made a wood baffel before in the back of the trunk across the rear of the seat,and worked out just fine,and made easy to just remove the sub to get to my spare tire in a car.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nerd.gif.c6fa51ddf7ff75f1c0371fbc648f70ae.gif

I have always had my amp rack located either right in front of subs or ports and never have had an issue. Right now my 2500 is about 1 1/2 from aero actually helps cool it down lol.

I have always had my amp rack located either right in front of subs or ports and never have had an issue. Right now my 2500 is about 1 1/2 from aero actually helps cool it down lol.
i firmly believe in mounting amps near ports for that reason...

my db drive wasnt even 1 inch. maybe .25 to .5'' from my port i was fine. idk where im fitting the powerbass 3k now its walled tho....top of the box maybe with rubber feet.

i firmly believe in mounting amps near ports for that reason...

my db drive wasnt even 1 inch. maybe .25 to .5'' from my port i was fine. idk where im fitting the powerbass 3k now its walled tho....top of the box maybe with rubber feet.
I don't want to mount it directly to the box at all. But I'm pretty sure it's going to fit right in front of the sub. There will be about an inch clearance, possibly a little less, between the top (closest part) of the surround on the woofer and the side of my amp. Do you think I will have rubbing issues once the sub is under power? I have a RE SX, and xmax is 22mm, which is about .86". But that's the distance of the cone from rest, so the surround should not move that far, correct?

I want to make in front of the sub work, but it's going to be really tight, if at all!

As long as there is enough room that the surround does not come in contact with any part of the amp then you are good to go. I see u got a dc 2.0 which is just a rebaged AQ2200 "which i have owned" so I see no issue with amp holding up.

i have seen such vibration break off transistor legs, torroids loosen and even short, and other damage. imo, it's a crap-shoot if it will hold up. could you mount it to the side of the trunk, near the rear? i would put the box on the right, but that's me. you could always mount it to the front, against the seat, where you can still see it, and wire in neon, or led lights to the trunk light, shining on the amp. it wouldn't be reporting for duty, but still made to be visible.

i have seen such vibration break off transistor legs, torroids loosen and even short, and other damage. imo, it's a crap-shoot if it will hold up. could you mount it to the side of the trunk, near the rear? i would put the box on the right, but that's me. you could always mount it to the front, against the seat, where you can still see it, and wire in neon, or led lights to the trunk light, shining on the amp. it wouldn't be reporting for duty, but still made to be visible.
Must have been already beat to death amps I have had over 8 amps either in front of subs or ports and not a single issue. Not saying it did not happen as I wouldnt think u would say it did if it didnt but I and many others have never had a single issue. Does not mean it cant happen so guess we both are right LOL

Well, nice thing is I have 12" exactly both in front and behind the sub box, and that's what I cut the board that I am mounting the amp to for. So I will probably keep it behind the sub box most of the time, and move it to the front when I know I will be showing it off. Then again, you never know when that might be!

For heat, I have a 8" blower fan I'm going to wire up to a relay and mount on that board as well. Fan pushes 96cfm. That should keep it cool //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

On a sidenote, if amp companies made use of the self-contained CPU-only watercooling kits they have out for computers, it would be possible to make some REALLY small amps, compared to what they are now. Just a thought I had rolling around.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.