Amp Kit?

Participant count
  • Participant list

jparker

Just ordered an Alpine MRP-F300 to install in my Dakota and now am looking for a 8 gauge amp kit for it and not really sure what to look for...they seem to range from $15 to $150. Assuming I probably don't want a $15 kit and probably don't need a $150 kit...could someone shoot me some suggestions?

You can spend a moderate amount more money on a comparable quality 4 ga kit and have "room" left over to add a sub amp in the future. 8 ga kits are good for around 500W. A true 4 AWG OFC amp kit can handle another 1,000W above that. A CCA 4 ga kit will handle less power, actually less current, but it would also suffice for a moderate addition in amplifier power in the future.

Basically the cheapest kits will use CCA wire that isn't true to the gauge advertised, e.g. cheap 4 ga wire will often have equivalent metal content to 8 AWG "true" spec wire. The most expensive kits have full OFC wire, which means they handle higher current loads and there is enough metal in the wire to meet the AWG spec, which in car audio is spec'd by CEA.

Just ordered the 8ga OFC kit, hopefully it works out!
Thanks bro! USPS has already picked up for the day so it will ship Monday. Shipping on amp kits usually take 2 business days to get to the customer once it has shipped.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

jparker

jparker
Wayne, MI
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
cthedinger