Amp keeps blowing subs?

big nick
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
alright my amp is a jbl gto700.1 in 2 years ive gone through 5 subs 2 kenwood w3011's (svc rated at 400rms each) and 3 mtx ts55 (dvc rated at 600rms each) every setup has been with two subs so when i had the kenwoods together they should have been able to handle 800 rms and the mtx's should have been able to handle 1200 rms

my amp does 700x1@2ohms and 425x1@4 ohms everytime the subs blow they are rated higher than the amp

i realize the subs i had werent exactly the best but i still feel like they shouldnt have blown. the kenwoods were ran at 4 ohms and the mtx's were run at 2 ohms i have 4 gauge wire from the battery to the amp 4 gauge grounded less than a foot away grounded to a bolt holding the seat down with 16 gauge wire from the amp through the terminals and to the subs. Also id like to add that i never had any distortion or clipping

does anyone have any idea on why i keep blowing my subs? i think my amp is wired fine and everything was bought brand new i plan on getting 2 kicker l5's rated at 600 rms each, i figure that they would be built a little better than everything else ive had or if anyone has another suggestion let me know i realize most of you guys are more knowledgable than me with this stuff lol

sounds like your clipping your subs. you probably have your gains set too high. an amplifier is pretty much putting out its rated power at half gain so in most cases anything after that is going to send a square signal and clip your subs. clipping=bad news and burnt coils and so forth

The title should be "I keep blowing subs" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Turn the bass boost on the headunit and amp to zero, bass/treble to zero(you can boost the high if you want) then set the gain on the sub amp to about 3/4. 95% of the time when people blow subs is because they're turning up the bass volume higher than what the amplifier/subwoofer can handle so it isn't the amp's fault. Clipped power from your amplifier is not good for the subs either.

the subs are in a vented enclosure

the settings on my headunit are the bass is at 2 out of 8 and my normal volume is either 25 or 26 out of 35 if i want to get the bass going hard ill hit it up to 30 for a few seconds but ill never play a full song on 30

here are the pictures

dsc0404r.jpg

dsc0405gz.jpg

an amplifier is pretty much putting out its rated power at half gain....
Solely dependent on the HU's RCA voltage output.

Though I will agree, it seems as if you are still somehow clipping the poor things to death. It also does appear that everything is set within reason on the amp. The only suggestion I would give is to lower the LP freq setting. You look to be in the neighborhood of ~200 Hz.

Yup....low pass seems to be set way high. But hard to tell, cause it is not clearly marked increments. Try to find someone with an o-scope. Only way to really tell if you are clipping them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.