Amp internals question

Participant count
  • Participant list

duece212
5,000+ posts

Buddy Christ!
Colorado
To set the tone for the rest of this message I know absolutely nothing about amp internals or electronics for that matter. So onto the newb question, which may not be a problem at all:

I just picked up an old Planet Audio Vector D, gave it a short low volume test and it worked. I'm concerned though. I opened up the amp to check it out and one of the torroid looking things (kinda like this: http://www.classaxe.com/dx/images/k9ay_torroid.jpg ) is touching the metal piece inside the amp where the fuses connect. There are a few loops of wire on the torroid that aren't tight and it stretches out to touch the the middle fuse mount on the amp chassis.

Should this torroid be toucing that fuse mount, is it possible thats how it is designed? As I said the amp still works but I didn't push it hard yet.

Sorry I don't have pics of this as I don't have a digicam. I know pics would help describe the situation.

If where the thiner is touching the fuse majinger and the one thingy with the thing is doing that other thing, i wouldnt consider pushing it.

haha

If anything starts on fire and explodes due to following this post, I am not deemed responsible.

haha good luck. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

if where the "torroid" is touching the fuses does not look like it should be there (ie not soldered) i would try to move that away. the "loose" appearance will not affect the amp (that i know of) so make sure your thinger is supposed to be touchin the fuse and try it out.

crappy cellphone pics if they help with the question

closeup of parts in question:

entire board with the parts in question outlined in red:

I definately don't want my thinger burnin up //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.