Amp help

Participant count
  • Participant list

bmk6795
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Ok so I bought a used American Bass vfl 4480. It worked fine for a bit. A few weeks later the sub just wasnt as loud as it was. Sometimes itd like jump back and hit as it was prior to it getting quieter. It happened at random and happened quite often. I didnt think anything of it, I thought it was a bad connection somewhere. I tightened all connections and it was fine for about another week. Now its quite all the time, and I've checked all the connections, so I pulled the amp out and this is what I saw

Anyone got any ideas on how much this is gonna cost to have repaired? And what part is bad? The brown burnt looking stuff is from the cylinder piece that is all messed up. Thanks for any help.

Ok so I bought a used American Bass vfl 4480. It worked fine for a bit. A few weeks later the sub just wasnt as loud as it was. Sometimes itd like jump back and hit as it was prior to it getting quieter. It happened at random and happened quite often. I didnt think anything of it, I thought it was a bad connection somewhere. I tightened all connections and it was fine for about another week. Now its quite all the time, and I've checked all the connections, so I pulled the amp out and this is what I saw

Anyone got any ideas on how much this is gonna cost to have repaired? And what part is bad? The brown burnt looking stuff is from the cylinder piece that is all messed up. Thanks for any help.
Got any soldering skills? Do it yourself and save some $. Unsolder the cap and take it to Radio Shack or Fry's and get a replacement. Hopefully that's all that's been affected......

Got any soldering skills? Do it yourself and save some $. Unsolder the cap and take it to Radio Shack or Fry's and get a replacement. Hopefully that's all that's been affected......
From the looks of it the cap looks to be the only bad part. But I don't know much about amp internals, I'm basing my opinion off of cosemetics. Im no expert but I should be able to do this just fine. Thanks for the advice.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.