amp goes into protection mode when I start car

Participant count
  • Participant list

hone

I just installed a jlaudio jx 500/1 and 10" tw3 in my 98 volvo v70. I tested everything and it was working good so I thought I'd start the car and go for a drive. Once I started the car though, the amp went into protection mode. After turning off the car and disconnecting and reconnecting all the wires going to the amp all was working again. But, when I started the car the amp went into protection mode again.

So it seems to me the problem only happens when the car is started.....any ideas what could be the problem?

By the way the tw3 was the one that comes in the prebuilt box so its wired to 2ohms(I also verified with a meter)

And I have a pioneer head unit. Id have to double check the model though

check your accessoried wire behind the deck with a test light, it should have no pwr intil you turn the key to on or accessories. you prob have the constant pwr and accessories around the wrong way

---------- Post added at 02:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 AM ----------

what are your speakers running off?

When I take the keys out everything is off so I don't think I put it on constant power. When i put the key in and turn to accessories and it turns on and works(green light and speaker plays music). It only goes into protection mode after starting the engine(red light no sound from sub)

The deck was installed prior to me purchasing the car. I spliced the signal for the amp into the blue wire in the wire harness. The speakers are stock and are running off the head unit. It is the premium sound package so there are like 8 or 9 speakers.

blue wire or blue wire with white trace? also I doubt the headunit will like running 8 or 9 speakers when it's built to only run 4. it is weird that it works fine until your actually start the car, the headunit it's wired up wrong, check what it is earthed to, and the constant and accessory pwr wires..... it'll be one of those 3

blue wire or blue wire with white trace? also I doubt the headunit will like running 8 or 9 speakers when it's built to only run 4. it is weird that it works fine until your actually start the car, the headunit it's wired up wrong, check what it is earthed to, and the constant and accessory pwr wires..... it'll be one of those 3
Thank sideshow I'll double check how it's wired up.

Whats the difference between the blue wire and blue with white trace(besides the stripe :p )?

looked it up...the solid blue is power antenna the blue with stripe is for the amp.

Just to add more details, the rest of my speakers and head unit still play and function normally, only the amp for the sub is going into protection mode. I just don't get why it would work with the key in but not work once the engine starts????

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked over all the wiring and as far as I can tell it looks good. Checked my power and ground and that looks good too.

Im going by the shop I bought the amp from tomorrow so hopefully they'll get it figured out. I'll let you guys know what they say

Amp turned out to be bad....the shop replaced it so I'm happy with that.
Glad you got it resolved, man. Is everything in and working now? Did the shop mention what exactly was wrong with it?

Glad you got it resolved, man. Is everything in and working now? Did the shop mention what exactly was wrong with it?
Everything is in and working great now.

They didn't mention what exactly was wrong. I was just happy to drive away with a working amp.

good stuff champ, glad it's sorted......... i'd suggest you go have a look to see what has been chaged in your system... so you no what to keep an eye on in the future

good stuff champ, glad it's sorted......... i'd suggest you go have a look to see what has been chaged in your system... so you no what to keep an eye on in the future
The amp must have been defective because the guy didn't touch anything else besides switching out the amps. The guy at the shop who did the work is my dad's buddy so if I did something dumb he would have definitely let me know lol. I watched him mess with it though and the amp is all that changed.

It's just my luck to get the dud amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.