Amp getting stupidly hot.

hellastock_rsx

I got a Rockford Fosgate P1000x2 amp bridged to two 10" 4ohm Fosgate P3s getting 1000watt rms. Well I've had this setup for a while now and the amp has gotten warm but but not actually "hot". I decided to get a 250 amp high output alternator then on my way home from work today I started noticing my subs were clipping then they shut off. Well once I got home I felt my amp and it was so hot it actually burned if I held my hand on it for too long. So I'm just wondering why all of a sudden my amp is getting super hot. The way I have the wires ran is:

4aug wire going from alternator to battery plus stock wiring.

1/0aug wire going from battery to 1 fared cap.

4aug wire going from cap to amp.

I have a 4aug ground going to the cap from the amp then a 1/0aug from the cap to under my back seat and put 2 self tapping screws into it on the chassis. Its kinda grounded down but its not really 100% bare.

So many things wrong I read.....Ground is so important, that some amps won't turn on or function properly with a "ok" ground. It needs to be bare metal to metal, no paint at all.

How do you know your subs were clipping? How was/is the gain set on the amp?

What kind of wire is the 4 and 1/0 gauge? Yes it does matter because there's ****** wiring on the market then there's good stuff. OFC is the best, CCA is the worst. Actually, no name branded CCA is the worst.

How are the subs wired? Serious/Parallel for a 4ohm load?

CCA wire is absolutely fine to use. If you are pulling under 250 amps CCA 1/0 is more than fine(20 foot amperage rating). If over 250 amps yes you are going to want OFC with a higher amperage rating.

I ran CCA 1/0 for years on lower powered setups and ran 2 runs of CCA 1/0 on 4.5k rms.

Fuse rating for that amp is 160 amps. So 1/0 CCA or 4 gauge OFC.

Cca is susceptible to corrosion i used it my 1st go around and it corroded at every cut end.especially in the fuse holder. so i pulled and replaced. Could have been due to a older battery at the time. But after i put in the ofc it stopped with the same batt. My experience anyhow

i think your best troubleshooting step is to find out where your voltage is dropping, is the voltage the same at your amp inputs at your alternator/front battery when loaded down? find out why, is it a bad ground, need to add more? bad connections on your positive runs? some sand paper and proper wiring i think will be your solution, as well as ensuring you're not overly clipping the amp

Ground is so important, that some amps won't turn on or function properly with a "ok" ground. It needs to be bare metal to metal, no paint at all.

How was/is the gain set on the amp?
[emoji1369]this....

Chekit

://youtu.be/zeA4Scp1VAE

://youtu.be/6b_Tw_dUESo

A couple of self tapping screws is not ok...(not in my car) you spend some much time and $ for the install, why skimp out and hook up a cheesy *** ground?? It's well worth the extra time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sounds like he running at at 2 ohm bridged load to me.. run 1 channel per sub u will see it stays cooler i bet.. u need mono amp.. all that said yeah check ground..

The problem is quite simple.. The amp supplies 1000rms. The subs are asking for 1000rms... That amp is just about meeting demands with no room to breath or remain cool.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

The problem is quite simple.. The amp supplies 1000rms. The subs are asking for 1000rms... That amp is just about meeting demands with no room to breath or remain cool.
uh what? That's not the issue here.....I could send 200 rms watts to a sub that's capable of 1250 rms and if my amp was getting hot, there's a problem.

Yeah but this has happened to me b4.. Running 2 sub equal to what the amp gives an it gets hot quick.. Removed one an it ran cool.

Someone on here told me, I can't remember who it was, advised that try used an amp with 20% more power than what the sub asks for to keep the amp cool/warm.

Take the fraud cap out

Get a real ground and not self tap screws

Check voltage

Report back //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/graduate.gif.d982460be9f153bb54e5d4cb744f6ae8.gif

Yeah but this has happened to me b4.. Running 2 sub equal to what the amp gives an it gets hot quick.. Removed one an it ran cool.
That's dumb. I ran a 1000watt Memphis amp to my 4 2500rms woofers and it never got hot and shut off.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.