Amp getting really hot and going into protect mode

It's an old amp (1999 model). Those things were built solid back then. I really didn't want to have to buy a new amp but if I can't figure this out of find someone locally who can, I guess I'm going to have to buy a new amp.
It's just funny that it plays fine and sounds good for about 30 to 40 minutes. It just extremely hot (literally burns if you touch it. I could probably cook an egg on it) and then starts going in and out of protection mode. What puzzles me even further is the fact that it never shut off when I only had it running the sub on the rear channels bridged.

I have an old 800a2 that I "technically" could use to drive these three speakers (sub and two midbass in kicks) but I'd lose the ability to do any fine tweaking between the left and right midbass speakers. I mean, it would work for now I guess. It would give me far more power running the 800a2 to each speaker so that would be a bright side.
i remember selling the old george foreman grill RF amps new back in the day, and they would get rather hot esp in comparison to the og bd1000's, class a/b's do get rather hot inherently tho. hispls has a very valid point unfortunately, it could be operating on parts that are at their breakdown point //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

20 years is about the life expectancy of electrolytic capacitors so amps failing after that point is not unusual. Build quality on new will vary. I strongly suspect most of the budget amps you'll buy today won't be playing 20 years from now though.

Those Fosgates were certainly not cheap when I purchased them.

20 years is about the life expectancy of electrolytic capacitors so amps failing after that point is not unusual. Build quality on new will vary. I strongly suspect most of the budget amps you'll buy today won't be playing 20 years from now though.
ive actually wondered the same thing about these lower quality amps longevity. Or even some of the new-oldstock amps people stumble across from time to time. the youtuber bigdwiz did a review of a legacy amp that was like 24" long and the board was less than half that. Sat unopened in its box with factory tape on the box flap for 27 years and it worked. Made in china almost 30 years ago, so you know its of the utmost quality LOL!!

heres the video

also, that username on youtube.... cringeworthy, but his reviews seem pretty legit

i believe hes talking about the new 2015 era amps that are mainly built in korea and china etc etc. Like i thing hes saying that amps like these wont play in 20 years. Not to pick on that amp in particular, but amps of similar build quality

the old punch and power amps of that era were pretty beastly tho. I remember hooking up some folks with 700s's pushing 2 12"s and they hit HARD

ive actually wondered the same thing about these lower quality amps longevity. Or even some of the new-oldstock amps people stumble across from time to time. the youtuber bigdwiz did a review of a legacy amp that was like 24" long and the board was less than half that. Sat unopened in its box with factory tape on the box flap for 27 years and it worked. Made in china almost 30 years ago, so you know its of the utmost quality LOL!!
heres the video

New old stock should fare a bit better, but those are worth far more to collectors so if you had something worth using NIB condition it would be silly to use it except for a show build.

I remember a few of those amps that were huge heat sink with small board. Seems as though for the cost of all that aluminum heat sink they may as well have actually put an amp in there.

I know, they were very nice, well built, with good quality control. I'm saying that what you'll get today for the cost of a repair may not be quite as nice or reliable, as you could safely expect another 20 out of that Punch with a restoration/repair.

New old stock should fare a bit better, but those are worth far more to collectors so if you had something worth using NIB condition it would be silly to use it except for a show build.
I remember a few of those amps that were huge heat sink with small board. Seems as though for the cost of all that aluminum heat sink they may as well have actually put an amp in there.
Did you watch that video? Pretty hilarious once he shows the guts

I know, they were very nice, well built, with good quality control. I'm saying that what you'll get today for the cost of a repair may not be quite as nice or reliable, as you could safely expect another 20 out of that Punch with a restoration/repair.
I knew what you meant. Lol. I was just basically saying those old school Fosgates were legit. I can't speak for their new stuff except I do have a 3Sixty.3 as it offered more features than my old school Symmetry EPX2 and that thing was the **** back in the day. Had the 32 band card for it and all.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.