amp for a single type r ?

Participant count
  • Participant list

woodsball_delig
10+ year member

I'm looking for an amp choice for my type r. Im getting the box plans worked on now, and will be picking the sub up once I have that ready to go. However... i'm unsure as to how much power I should be sending it's way.

The sub will be the new style alpine type r 12" wired to 1 ohm. My car is a 2007 mazda 3 with a stock alt and head unit. I ran 4ga power and ground wire. I heard that type r's can handle alot more power than rated... but i was considering getting a hifonics or crunch amp that can handle 1000w rms at 1 ohm.

I'm honestly on a student budget, so thats the reasoning for hifonics or crunch... but will that be good for my sub? is that too much power?

1000rms works perfect as long as you are sending it clean power. Any clipping and it will get stinky fast.

how can i avoid clipping? im not very clear on how to set up an amp... tried looking at setting up the gain and it seemed very confusing and looked like some posts were edited and deleted.

Download a -3db test tone (45hz is fine). Plug a DMM (digital multi meter) into your speaker outputs on the amp, set it to AC voltage. Turn off all bass boost, set bass level on head unit to 0. Pick your desired highest volume level on your head unit and start the test tone. Adjust the gain until your DMM is reading about 31.5 volts (for 1000 watts at 1 ohm). Now your set. Don't exceed the volume level where you set the gain, and don't turn up any bass settings.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.