Amp Choice for Alpine Type R 6.5"

Participant count
  • Participant list

fireplace369

Hi.

I'm looking to buy a pair of Alpine Type R 6.5" speakers. They are rated at 100W RMS each at 4 ohms.

I'm stuck deciding between two amps; one which puts out 85W at 4 ohms, or one that puts out 120W at 4 ohms.

Of course it would be better to choose the one with higher wattage, but if I chose the 85W amp, how much would that effect the speaker performance?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hi.
I'm looking to buy a pair of Alpine Type R 6.5" speakers. They are rated at 100W RMS each at 4 ohms.

I'm stuck deciding between two amps; one which puts out 85W at 4 ohms, or one that puts out 120W at 4 ohms.

Of course it would be better to choose the one with higher wattage, but if I chose the 85W amp, how much would that effect the speaker performance?

2 channel or 4? how much $ u wanta spend? what amps are u talking about 'cause many don't do power they say..

Both of the amps are Alpine and both are 4 channel. Money is not a factor, I just want to know wattage wise will underpowering the speakers by 15W be ok, or should I get the amp that puts out 120W per channel?

The amps I’m looking at are:

Alpine PDR-F50 (4 channel 85W per channel at 4 ohms)

Alpine X-A70F (4 channel 120W per channel at 4 ohms)

Both of the amps are Alpine and both are 4 channel. Money is not a factor, I just want to know wattage wise will underpowering the speakers by 15W be ok, or should I get the amp that puts out 120W per channel?

no the 85 is fine for a 6.5 (running mine on hu power) but if u buying a amp and not too much diff in price a little headroom in power is always a good thing, just set gain low on the bigger one.. or look at other amps like zapco & many others under $250 that are ok amps..

Hi.

get the one with more power, at higher volumes it affects sound quality and overall clarity/details by a lot. With not enough power, when you go higher on the volume, the amp internals get stressed, which introduces distortion and speaker breakup. Most of the times you hear about speakers sounding bad/distorted/cracking not being able to handle the amp or head unit power is actually from them not having enough power which they have zero clue.

no the 85 is fine for a 6.5 (running mine on hu power) but if u buying a amp and not too much diff in price a little headroom in power is always a good thing, just set gain low on the bigger one.. or look at other amps like zapco & many others under $250 that are ok amps..
OP, do not listen to anyone that has their speakers on head unit power... just dont... he has no clue what he's talking about at all.

get the one with more power, at higher volumes it affects sound quality and overall clarity/details by a lot. With not enough power, when you go higher on the volume, the amp internals get stressed, which introduces distortion and speaker breakup. Most of the times you hear about speakers sounding bad/distorted/cracking not being able to handle the amp or head unit power is actually from them not having enough power which they have zero clue.

OP, do not listen to anyone that has their speakers on head unit power... just dont... he has no clue what he's talking about at all.
i just told him same thing u did.. amp with more power is a good thing.. why u gotta jab me?

i just told him same thing u did.. amp with more power is a good thing.. why u gotta jab me?
wow that's crazy. So a PPI 1000 sub amp and what 18 watts at best on a pair of coaxials? All about that bass no treble? Why barely anything for mids and highs? And can't imagine what the reason could be for that. That's quite a bit of sub power without any mid high power.Are you deaf and just like how bass feels?

if you are deaf my apologies.

wow that's crazy. So a PPI 1000 sub amp and what 18 watts at best on a pair of coaxials? All about that bass no treble? Why barely anything for mids and highs? And can't imagine what the reason could be for that. That's quite a bit of sub power without any mid high power.Are you deaf and just like how bass feels?if you are deaf my apologies.
no problem hearing my speakers at all man

no problem hearing my speakers at all man

not about being able to hear. About balance can't be a balanced system at 18\1000 watts. Sounded like #=@* through my 1\4 inch laptop speaker also.

never mind if you like it that's all that matters not my ears anyway. Thought maybe there was a reason for running mids and highs of hu and 1000 watt to sub.

nice you tube video.

not about being able to hear. About balance can't be a balanced system at 18\1000 watts. Sounded like #=@* through my 1\4 inch laptop speaker also. never mind if you like it that's all that matters not my ears anyway. Thought maybe there was a reason for running mids and highs of hu and 1000 watt to sub.

nice you tube video.
well pc speakers can play that back well.. sounds fine to me especially when i play old rock the speakers can actually be almost to loud idk how., my hu is awesome for the $ (i do have factory tweets in doors).. had 75x4 in last 2 cars i hadn't planned to do anything other than sub is this one many yrs ago and just not worth running wires to door to me since i have hp xover on hu and they play clean and i drive like 20 miles (total) every 3 days..

If money isnt an issue Id be looking at something like this or a Gladden

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZAPCO-Z-150-4AP-4CHANNEL-1000W-RMS-CLASS-AB-COMPETITION-AUDIOPHILE-AMPLIFIER-NEW/121383830870?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D50999%26meid%3D087c947fb36b4610aa685b0e3118b433%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D292355505661%26itm%3D121383830870&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Thank you all for your suggestions. Another reason I asked about the two amp choices is because the batcap that I have says it’s rated for “maximum performance” between 1,000-1,300W and by putting in the amp that does 120Wx4 my system will be at 1,340W in total. I’m worried that will be too much for the cap to handle.

Thank you all for your suggestions. Another reason I asked about the two amp choices is because the batcap that I have says it’s rated for “maximum performance” between 1,000-1,300W and by putting in the amp that does 120Wx4 my system will be at 1,340W in total. I’m worried that will be too much for the cap to handle.
dont even worry about that. Put the amp in, install a voltage meter with the leads running directly from your sub amp's pos and negative to monitor voltage drops. If you are dropping below 12, just lower the gain, its that simple, Just because you have 120 watts doesnt mean you have to use all of it. Most likely, you wont be dropping any kind of voltage with a battcap and your alternator running dude, you can literally add a 2k amp + a 4 channel with a battcap.

dont even worry about that. Put the amp in, install a voltage meter with the leads running directly from your sub amp's pos and negative to monitor voltage drops. If you are dropping below 12, just lower the gain, its that simple, Just because you have 120 watts doesnt mean you have to use all of it. Most likely, you wont be dropping any kind of voltage with a battcap and your alternator running dude, you can literally add a 2k amp + a 4 channel with a battcap.
Ok cool. Thank you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.