Amp caught on FIRE! Need advice for new fireless amp:

dpapowah

Hey folks. I got a new sub for x-mas: a bad-*** Lanzar 12-inch MAX12D (1000 watts max). I was sooo excited to hook her up to my existing 4-channel amp (Kicker ZX650.4) 120 watts RMS x 4: that means 120 watts per channel, right? So, 240 per stereo channel?

Anyways, I researched ohms and became more confused than when my ex left me (that ******* skank ***).

I think I figured out how to wire it properly. The sub sports Dual 4 ohms and I bridged her to a stereo channel on my amp. The other stereo channel fed 4 car speakers. The amp has 4 ohms per stereo channel. So, I think I wired it correctly... I think... I believe how I wired it is called stereo bridged parallel.

I cranked up my sound system and **** did it sound so good. This Lanzar produces some really good *** bass for rock, rap, electronic and ******* anything, really. Honestly she sounds like 2 or more 12's. I'm not kidding, man.

Few ******* days later on the road blasting music, I smelt something burning. I didn't think much of it. I looked around in my car and saw no smoke or fire. I thought someone was burning some bodies near by. The smell got worse. I realized the smell smelt like burning electronics. I stopped, opened the trunk, and a billow of smoke smashed my face in. I looked in my trunk and saw a flame growing from a vent on the amp. "**** **** ******* ******* ****", I said. I put it out and now I'm wondering wtf happened?

View attachment 26546488

The sub is fine. I will dispose of my ******* burt amp and will get a new one. But what caused this? Was the 1000 watt sub ******* too much juice out of my puny amp of 240 watts per stereo channel? Or did I wire it wrong?

Thanks for any information! A specific amp suggestion would be tops!

PS that's not my car in the pic! lol!

if that amps doesnt have a burnt pcb board, I would be interested in taking it off your hands.

There are any ways you fried the amp, one being poor wiring, two being shorted out power or ground wire, three being that your gains weren't set properly and you just over worked the amp....

well sounds like you ended up running it at 2ohms bridged and my guess is thats what caused the failure. But there may also be faulty connections that may have helped the amp overheat.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.