Amp and Speaker Installation

Participant count
  • Participant list

DanOpi
10+ year member

MN
Hey there guys so i'm new to car audio and have been for a while. I currently have an aftermarket head unit in my car and that's it. Of course speakers but nothing good. I have a Pioneer DEH-5200HD. I just bought an old school Aura 2 Channel Amp and a set of 6.5 Coaxial Digital Designs with an amp kit for a good cheap price in my budget. So i will be running a front stage set up but i will keep the back speakers in just for fill. But the problem that i have is, i never have installed an amp before. I've been doing some reading and talking to some people on the site and i want to see what else i need to add in and if anyone has any tips or tricks they can share with me.

So here is what i know so far:

I have to run a power wire from my battery through the engine wall into my car and then into my trunk where my amp will be. I found a place where i can run it through i'm pretty sure but i'm not positive. Also i need to include a fuse on the power wire. I understand it's like a fuse box so i will cut the wire and then put one end of the wire in the one end of the fuse box and do the same on the other end. Is this correct?

I also have to find a place where i can attack my grounding wire. So one end is attached to the amp and then i need to find a bolt where i can attach it on. I have to make sure to sand the paint and rust away from where the bolt is. The bolt also has to be connected to the chassis.

With both of those wires i want to make sure not to have them run on shard edges or places where they could get hot and melt.

Next wire will be the RCA. I believe one end is hooked up to the amp and then i run it up to my head unit. I will use 2 flat head screw drivers to pop out the head unit. I don't understand how i get them through the back where my head unit is though if that makes sense. How do i run them to the back of the Head unit? I will also run speaker wire from the amp to the stock speaker wire so i don't have to rewire everything. I was told i won't notice a difference even if i did rewire everything.

And before i do any of this i need to tear my car apart. I have a 1993 Honda Civic Coupe. I was told to take out back and front seats along with all carpet. I'm hoping i can do all of this to make the process easy and clean. I will need to find out how to take the seats out since i don't know how to right now.

I don't know how to set the cross over on the amp or anything either so i will need input on that also. Are there anythings that you guys can recommend that will make the process easier on me or make it more clean looking and done? Is all i said above correct? Anything important i missed?

Thanks to pro-rabbit, Kangaroux, and Louisiana_CRX for the help!

Thanks in advance!

~DanOpi

What do you mean by power wires on one side and all rca and speaker wire on the other? Side of the car or what? and how would that work for speaker wire? Wouldn't i need to run one speaker wire to the right and one to the left? I don't have pioneer keys though.

And Rich B it maybe in the wrong section but i thought it would belong in here since it's kind of like a log of my Front Stage Set up. Sorry if i'm wrong and sorry if i caused any trouble!

Last edited by a moderator:
all power wires on one side and all rca and speaker wire on the other.and to take the deck out without damaging you need a set of pioneer keys
This is the best way, but the screw driver method works if need be. I did suggest that we swing by best buy(where it was installed) and get the keys from them if they did not give them to him. However, I have removed plenty of units using various other tools then the keys that are meant to be used.

They installed it around 6 months ago and i doubt they would just give me free keys but maybe. I can try if you think it's best. And so lets say that i run the speaker wire on the left along with the rca cable and the power wires on the right. I would have to cross 1 of the speaker wires over to the right side for that speaker?

I have had no issue with the power wire and speaker wire thing...I normally take out my rear seat and center console and run the RCA/Remote/Speaker wires down the middle though.

So if i were to run them down the middle i would have to take out all the stuff in the middle such as my hand brake cover and all that plastic stuff? Also how do i wire the RCA in through the back of the HU?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.