Alumapro alchemy - why the metal cone?

Participant count
  • Participant list

b16_na
10+ year member

Why the metal cone? I went to a friends shop to hear his 2 Alumapro alchemy's, each sub had 1cu. ft each. connected to a Memphis 1000D. It sounded great with rap, hit low and hard. SQ was great, but when it came down to fast pace music, these subs just couldnt keep up, is it the metal cone, may it be too heavy? What is crazy about this sub is that he connected it to a xtant2200ix (400watts) and they still rocked. But maaaan did these subs pound, i think its time to put my 12w3's at rest. (maybe in 2-3 months, im broke!) If i do get ONE, is it possible to put it in .85cu ft.? what amp? ... zane..audiolife...suggestions?

p.s., this is for future reference, considering my budget and bills, its not gonna be a good 2-4 months till i get this puppy, or puppies if the money lets me!

Originally posted by b16_na Why the metal cone? I went to a friends shop to hear his 2 Alumapro alchemy's, each sub had 1cu. ft each. connected to a Memphis 1000D. It sounded great with rap, hit low and hard. SQ was great, but when it came down to fast pace music, these subs just couldnt keep up, is it the metal cone, may it be too heavy? What is crazy about this sub is that he connected it to a xtant2200ix (400watts) and they still rocked. But maaaan did these subs pound, i think its time to put my 12w3's at rest. (maybe in 2-3 months, im broke!) If i do get ONE, is it possible to put it in .85cu ft.? what amp? ... zane..audiolife...suggestions?

p.s., this is for future reference, considering my budget and bills, its not gonna be a good 2-4 months till i get this puppy, or puppies if the money lets me!
It is strange to believe that the Alchemy' s had difficulty reproducing the quicker bass from the start. My Alchemy 12's are all arround top notch performers. They have no trouble in this area- or many others that I have seen yet. The metal cone should not contribute to the lack of resonse in that area that you noticed. Likely the enclosure or crossover setting was the culprit. Even the smallest air leak can throw things off a bit.

My Alchemy's are currently in 1.0ft^3 sealed enclosures each. I have concluded that this is optimum enclosure volume for these particular woofers after experiementing with several different enclosure designs + and - 1.0ft^3. This also taking into account the transfer function of my vehicle in relation to the enclosure. Your vehicle could be slightly different.

You will under no circumstances be dissapointed with the Alchemy- very rock solid performance. .85ft^3 should be acceptable, however, I am still in favor of at least 1.0ft^3 minimum. As for the amps- I am currently using an old Phoenix Gold XS2500 on my pair of Alchemy's; and it does quite well. I would look into an amplifier with at least 300-400 watts RMS; and you should be set.

take it easy,

-zane

quick question for you zane....where'd u get your subs at??? cause im looking at probably getting some when i get my next car or truck in a few months.....from what ive heard from you and others im sure i'd be impressed w/ them....

Originally posted by b16_na Why the metal cone? I went to a friends shop to hear his 2 Alumapro alchemy's, each sub had 1cu. ft each. connected to a Memphis 1000D. It sounded great with rap, hit low and hard. SQ was great, but when it came down to fast pace music, these subs just couldnt keep up, is it the metal cone, may it be too heavy? What is crazy about this sub is that he connected it to a xtant2200ix (400watts) and they still rocked. But maaaan did these subs pound, i think its time to put my 12w3's at rest. (maybe in 2-3 months, im broke!) If i do get ONE, is it possible to put it in .85cu ft.? what amp? ... zane..audiolife...suggestions?

It rarely relates to the moving mass, typically I'd blame transient loss on either group delay (if ported) or a less than ideal driver design. But, you may want to go ahead and do your own calculations based on the woofer, you may find they had it in the "boomer' Qtc alignment because honestly, boom sells...

I've used a few Alchemies in my day, they were nice subs to be honest, I'd not hesitate owning a few... My brahma walked all over them though... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

As for the amp, depends on cost restrictions, PLENTY to choose from though....

Originally posted by audiolife brahma vs idmax vs w7 how would you call it jlaine? i heard brahmas dont handle power so good yet (at least to their spec)
Are you kidding? We had one coil damaged, we are calling that a first run defect...

Loyd (bigbassman) pounded one with 1800W, and after he was done with breakin, he had NO problems with that amount of power... We have others using PHD2's on them with no problems...

As for the brahma/w7/idmax, to be honest, I haven't heard the W7....

Personal opinion, the brahma goes lower than the ID Max, and sounds just as good... if I had to toss up between the two, I'd go brahma (but I am kinda biased, I am a dealer....)

I like both woofers, but comparably, the brahma is just the wiser choice in my opinion

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.