Alternator Whining

Oh ok. I would just ground the head unit to the ground on the harness. And if that's the amp on the floor i would seperate the rca's and power wire as much as possible. If they have to cross do it a 90 degree angle.

06gtmike, i should just solder like a piece of speaker wire to the ground i have in the picture or split the ground wire that is on the headunit and ground that to the head unit? By splitting i mean like cut in half then solder the ground and the speaker wire together.

06gtmike, i should just solder like a piece of speaker wire to the ground i have in the picture or split the ground wire that is on the headunit and ground that to the head unit? By splitting i mean like cut in half then solder the ground and the speaker wire together.
Not quite sure what you mean. I was just saying that instead of running a ground for the deck to just hook the black ground on the head unit harness to the car harness but looking back at the pics it looks like you have everything hardwired. Ignore the head unit for now and just try seperating your power and rca wires near the amp to see if that helps. If they're laying on each other or running next to each other at all it may cause noise.

it didnt change anything.

I've been looking like crazy and i found something that said i can plug in my ipod to the RCA and it should stop the sound if the amp is good. This means that it has to be the HU that is making the whine. So i tested it, the whine goes away if i plug in my ipod. I have no idea what to do from there.

I just read some more stuff on different forums and such, it seems like i have to ground the HU with like 2 more grounds i suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:
So i couldn't make the new grounds yet, but i've somehow managed to make the sound even worse... Now instead of just the high pitched whining, there is now a popping noise that i have no idea where it came from but it stopps if i unplug the white side of the RCA from the amp. IDK. Please someone help.

Do this on both the HU and the Amp. Make sure the RCA's pinch down on the wire, not just graze up against it.

644225.jpg

If that doesn't work create your own ground for the HU by drilling and sanding a hole in the chassis. If that still doesn't work it's a bad HU or RCA's.

If we are talking about the ground on the amp, then I know for sure that it is a good ground. On the HU however it has the factory ground but that looks like it works well too. Another add-on the noise only happens on the one set of RCA's going to the 4 channel amp. With the mono amp for my subs, there is no sound. Could it just be a bad RCA cable?

Do this on both the HU and the Amp. Make sure the RCA's pinch down on the wire, not just graze up against it.
644225.jpg

I've seen this before, looks like a bad idea
good idea....works on pioneer units that have the pico fuse issue

running rca's along power wires is perfectly fine. As long as the grounds are good there isn't a problem

I didn't see how many amps you have, but you want all amps grounded at the same spot

I have both the amps grounded at the same spot ( on a wingnut that comes out from the frame to hold down the spare). Well is it weird that only the 4 channel amp is the only one with RCA's that make noise? Either way ill try doing what's in the picture. I just didn't think it would work because when I tried that without screwing one end down and just touching the end to the HU chassis, it didn't change anything. I'm thinking it just might be bad RCA's. I'm going to go changed them out with some new ones.

It's solved many problems on the forums, including many Pioneer HU problems people have. It has worked for me personally and many others I've recommended it to. Don't bash it 'till you try it.
good idea....works on pioneer units that have the pico fuse issue

running rca's along power wires is perfectly fine. As long as the grounds are good there isn't a problem

I didn't see how many amps you have, but you want all amps grounded at the same spot
yes I have heard it and saw it many times on this forum from people who think high post count means they are electrical/acoustical engineers. I have also heard from actual factory authorized repair techs that build/repair amps and HU's that this is a bad idea. Not bashing anyone's ideas but would you replace his equipment if he f's it up by putting wires where they shouldn't be? I have an old JBL amp that needs repair because if it touches anything metal the speakers make a hellofa noise. Somewhere in the amp the power is grounding to the case. If I would have done what you( and many) have suggested the current would be sent into my HU and most likely make bad things happen. By the looks of things the OP has a octopus orgy going on and that may be the crux of his problem.

TO EVERYONE: Grounding the RCA's worked on the amp and it didn't make a difference on the HU, so i guess it's just a bad amp. (what can you expect from a 15+ yr old amp!). Also i added new RCA's, they didn't seem to make a difference but idk. Either way the Alternator Whine is down to a barely audible sound and if i turn it up to say 6/36 it you can't even here it. I'm sure all i have to do now to completely get rid of it would be to get rid of the amp and get a new one. Im fine with this for now. THANKS EVERYONE!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.