Alternator question

BCotrell

Senior VIP Member
irvine, ca
If i primarily play music while I'm driving (no parking lot pimpin) would a 250 amp ho alternator that produces 100 amps at idle work for appx 3k watts. Already planning Big 3 and front/rear battery. the alternative option is a 320 that produces 190 amps at idle but it's a bit pricier and I'm trying to keep costs manageable. Current factory alt is a Toyota oem 130 amp

Thanks

If i primarily play my music while I'm driving would a 250 amp ho alternator that produces 100 amps work for appx 3k watts. Already planning Big 3 and front/rear battery already. the alternative is a 320 that produces 190 amps at idle but it's a bit pricier. Current factory alt is a Toyota oem 130 amp
Thanks
Well, let;s see, you SAID:

Stock alternator puts out 130 amps, new higher powered alternator puts out 100 amps. that's 30 amps short of the stock alternator!

Do the math!

John Kuthe...

A 250 will be more than enough but a second battery in back is still recommended. Remember to fuse both ends of the power.

It's kind of funny that you cry about peeps giving you unhelpful advice and then you provide a response like you did. Anyways, I know that you're smart enough to know that a 130 oem isn't putting out 130 at idle, 50% of that a conservative guess.

A 250 will be more than enough but a second battery in back is still recommended. Remember to fuse both ends of the power.
He said about the new alternator "...would a 250 amp ho(SIC) alternator that produces 100 amps work..." so I don't know what the number "250" means. But he said it's puts out "100 amps" and that was unquestioningly specific! Maybe he's talking about the "250 amps" being peak output, not nominal. Dunno.

John Kuthe...

It's kind of funny that you cry about peeps giving you unhelpful advice and then you provide a response like you did. Anyways, I know that you're smart enough to know that a 130 oem isn't putting out 130 at idle, 50% of that a conservative guess.
I'm an engineer and nurse. I deal with the facts, not opinions! Lotta UNSUBSTANTIATED opinions here! Lotta EGOS too! :-(

John Kuthe...

When I am testing my generator per the FSM using my clamp on ammeter and my carbon pile load, the test is specified for 1,250 RPM so that is the condition I use for testing.

It would not be appropriate to specify a generator output for idle speed. The vehicle uses the battery as a reservoir to supply during periods when current draw exceeds demand and to replenish when draw is less than supply.

Extended periods of maximum draw at idle is an abnormal condition. The addition of an extra battery(ies) could be a better solution than hoping that the generator output at idle is better for different models.

My boat has 2,500 watts of stereo output. My setup has three or five group 31 125Ah batteries (switch selectable), plus I can switch on a generator-powered 70A charger to stay ahead of extended operation at ear bleeding volumes. The three batteries are plenty for normal usage w/ the generator off.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.