Alternator Question. NEED INPUT.

Participant count
  • Participant list
Alright...

Excuse the noob like question.. but I can't seem to find this information ANYWHERE and I'm the type of person that will search until I die of exertion for an answer to something.

My question is about alternators.

I recently had DC Power throw a new regulator onto my 270XP. The regulator is the one they use for GM cars and is regulated at 15v.

So.. my question is. Are alternators, at idle with no stereo draw, ALWAYS supposed to read the same voltage? In my case 15v? When I first installed the alt, after the car had been sitting for weeks, it was showing 15v exactly. Once I hooked up my entire system, the batteries all read at 15 volts as well.

But today when I checked the batteries and the alternator, they read 14.7. Is that because of the draw I'd placed on the batteries all day? Or does the voltage coming off the alternator change depending on the temperature of the alternator?

Thanks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.