Alternator Is It Done?? Or Battery?

Americanstrat21
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Alright so this morning when I was about to go to work I get in my car ands try to start it and it it just makes this clicking soud when I try to start it. All the lights still come on when I put my key in but it wont start.. I jumped the car and it worked fine for a while but then it did the same thing .. Is my alternator shot?

Thanks!

have the battery tested it could be that its just not taking a charge. but more then likely if you can drive around on it and it doesnt die while driving from lack of power the alt is working.

so it clicks, you jump it and it's fine. turn it off, and try again and clicks?

sound like alt to me. could be the batt, but i say alt

^^ personally I think its the alt but I dont know.. I drove aroud for a while with no problems after I jumped it but when I went back home and let the car sit for a few hours it wouldnt start again..

a quik test would be jump it off let it run for a couple minutes then pull the positive battery cable off, if it stays runnin your alt s fine just get a new batt if it shuts off its your alt.

basically if you dont have an upgraded electrical system, and use a big amp that draws enough power, and have a stock battery and alt, your batts gonna go dead. buy a batt thats not totally shitty, but better than the one you have now, and do the big 3. you shouldnt have this problem again any time soon.

Yeah man. If you go out there after a few hours and it just clicks, yet interior lights have power and such, that means the battery isnt holding charge anymore, and if your getting clicks, your alternator is ok.

If you dont have a battery charger, then as stated above, go to an AutoZone type of auto parts store and have them check it outtttt. It could be 1-4 things wrong. Get a professional to troubleshoot.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Yeah man. If you go out there after a few hours and it just clicks, yet interior lights have power and such, that means the battery isnt holding charge anymore, and if your getting clicks, your alternator is ok.
If you dont have a battery charger, then as stated above, go to an AutoZone type of auto parts store and have them check it outtttt. It could be 1-4 things wrong. Get a professional to troubleshoot.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Just because you get clicks, it doesn't mean anything about your alternator. It just means your starter is trying to engage, but doesn't have enough current to turn the motor over.

It was stated above, if you drive around and everything works great while you're driving (lights, stereo...) then chances are your alternator is working fine. But an easy way to test it is to start the car, then remove the negative battery cable. If the car dies, then your alternator is shot. If it keeps running, then your alternator is working fine. What that test does is remove the battery out of the circuit. If the car dies, then the alternator isn't giving enough juice to run the battery.

I am guessing the car will keep running just fine, which would mean your battery can't hold the charge your alternator is giving it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.