Alternator help/capacitor? Need help

kcwats97

ohio
I have an 06 Chrysler 300. Huge battery which is located in the trunk. Recently upgraded to two planet audio ac15d 2100w. Built my own box. Now I'm running a planet audio anarchy 2600w 2 channel on it. The subs are 1050 rms and the amp is 1300w rms. Recently my alternator fried. I drove for about a month fine, out of nowhere wouldn't hold a charge. I just replaced with with a brand new one. The guy didn't upgrade it though which is beyond me. My lights are back to dimming because I'm constantly bumping. How do I stop myself from frying a brand new alternator? Someone talked to me about a capacitor. I have no clue what to do. Should I get a capacitor and another battery as well? If so could someone link me to some fairly decent and cheaper ones as I don't have a billion dollars to throw into my car right now. I just want my lights to stop dimming because I'm afraid the new alternator is going to go bad again.

batteries work when the car is off or the alternator cannot supply the load. caps help the temporary drop in voltage from a lag in the current supply for rapid and high demands..

I cannot directly answer your question without know what hte issue is. I can tak a guess and say that yo are simply drawing to much current and need a high output alternator more than likely though..

---------- Post added at 01:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 AM ----------

obviously. This is the most pointless reply I've ever gotten. Thanks for the help?
point is educate yourself. don't just take peoples word for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tbe lights dim from the voltage drop.

The voltage drops because you are exceeding the alternators output.

Using larger wire/conductor that is capible of carrying more current is a start but it wont stop dimming if you are exceeding the alternators output capibility.

FYI im a natoinally certified electrican.

I have 4500 watts in my car now and have no issues..

Certified electrician...lol
Just like John Koothe is a electrical engineer.
20170622_031936_zpsvj7w57dj.jpg'%20alt='20170622_031936_zpsvj7w57dj.jpg'>

Check what your voltage is while your system is going and your headlights are dimming. Check voltage at the amp terminals and compare it to voltage at the battery and voltage at the alternator.

Your alternator voltage will probably be the highest, followed by the battery and then the amp voltages. At the amp, 13v+ is fine. 12-13v is iffy and you should do something about it. Less than 12v and you have bigger problems.

Shops will load test your battery for free too.

lights are power from the main fuse distribution. 12 volt electronics are sensitive to voltage. unless to maintain charging voltage they will dim.

upgrade the alt wiring is that don't help get a high output alternator.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.