Alpine SPX-17PRO vs. SPR-17S

Which Alpine components are better for my setup?

• Alpine SPX-17PRO

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Alpine SPR-17S

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

EVO
10+ year member

Hi guys, I know a guy who owns both of these components and he's willing to sell whichever I want for the same price regardless of the model. I know SPX-17PRO is the more expensive one but it doesn't mean it's the best for my application.

My car is a RX7 and the set-up I'm planning to do is:

Head unit: JVC KD-SX998R (already in the car)

Front: Alpine SPX-17PRO or SPR-17S, I haven't decided yet

Rear: -

Sub: Rockford Fosgate P2D210 (10")

Amp: Alpine MRP-F600 (I put a deposit on it)

The guy who's selling the component reckons the SPXs have better sound quality but SPRs (Type R) sound louder and hit harder. Which one would you recommend for my application and why?

SPX's. The crossover is much better, one of the best passive crossover systems available right now. The whole "R hits harder than X, but X sounds better" is mostly about the Type-R and X subwoofers, not the component speakers. Get the SPX's, they're better in every way, and run the F600 bridged with the gains set at a modest level.

BiGuyStats26383517.jpg

SPX's. The crossover is much better, one of the best passive crossover systems available right now. The whole "R hits harder than X, but X sounds better" is mostly about the Type-R and X subwoofers, not the component speakers. Get the SPX's, they're better in every way, and run the F600 bridged with the gains set at a modest level.
Yeah I think hitting harder thing is because Type R has 6.5" woofer cone and SPX has 6" cone. I'll probably go with the SPX but if I run the set up I mentioned above then I'll be connecting both the comps and the sub to the F600 amp which means one channel each per comps and bridged for the sub.

Where are you reading that the SPX's are only 6inches in diameter?
Ooops sorry my bad, I knew it wasn't but recently I found another website (obviously not credible) which said 6" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif and actually if you google it some sites say 6 1/2 other say 6 3/4.

Just be careful with the SPX pros and don't do something crazy, like mounting your crossovers IN the door. Unless Alpine has updated the design, the old crossovers were notorious for falling apart when mounted in the door just from opening and closing the door.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...