gnesterenko
10+ year member

Item(s) for Sale:

Alpine PLT-5 250RMS powered subwoofer

Item(s) Description/Condition:

# amplified subwoofer system with Linear Array Transducer (LAT) technology

# six 5-inch woofer cones in Ultra Reflex subwoofer box

# Alpine PDX 250-watt RMS digital amplifier

# variable low-pass filter (50-200 Hz, 24 dB/octave)

# bass boost (0-12 dB @ 45 Hz) with wired remote control

# subsonic filter (15 Hz, 24 dB/octave)

# phase control (0, 180 degrees)

# speaker- and preamp-level inputs

# 8-gauge power and ground leads recommended

# 21-5/8"W x 13-3/8"H x 8-7/8"D1 x 6-3/16"D2

# 47 lbs

Detailed Link: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-VDFU1O2ZYb8/p_500PLT5/Alpine-PLT-5-br-LAT-Subwoofer-System.html

These got a lot of flak for powered subwoofers, but from personal use over almost 2 years, this thing is perfect entry level sub for someone who just wants a no-hassle install without needing to worry about a separate amp. Plenty loud, never over-driven, and always crossed-over in the 80-85Hz region.

Functionality: 10/10

Cosmetic: 6/10

Runs perfectly, but has seen better days in terms of looks. A bit dusty and does have a few very minor scuffs on the chassis - nothing to affect function at all. The only thing I could find wrong with it: the side panel hiding the wiring connections snaps on to the sub using 8 plastic snap pieces/clips - of these 3 have broken. This doesn't impact how secure the side panel is - stays on there just fine. See pictures.

Price:

$230 OBO shipped. A bit on the high side, but this thing is heavy, and shipping is pricey.

$180 OBO for local pickup.

Shipping and Miscellaneous Item Information:

Got it new and have been the only owner, running it for a bit over a year in my old car. Got rid of the car and upgrading to something with a little more power for my next build, so no reason to hold on to it.

Can also include an amplifier power kit (power/ground/fuse/turn on lead - no RCA) for an extra $10 if you want.

Local obviously easier/faster/preferred. Otherwise will ship with USPS. Payment through PayPal Gift STRONGLY preferred unless local, then cash of course.

Item Pictures:

alpineplt5main.jpg

alpineplt5front.jpg

alpineplt5front2.jpg

alpineplt5back.jpg

alpineplt5side.jpg

alpineplt5iowithcover.jpg

alpineplt5sidewithoutco.jpg

alpineplt5iowithoutcove.jpg

alpineplt5sidepanel.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, if that was the PLV-7, I'd be all over that. Still, I'm thinking about it. I bet it'd be a downgrade from the 15" Type R I'm running now, but I'm sure it takes up a hell of a lot less space. Would you say it plays pretty clean?

PLT-7 you mean :p. Yeah, I almost pulled the trigger on that one but ended up buying this one. Money was tight, and I figured the PLT-7 would be too powerful for my speaker set up.... I was right actually, 500RMS would have been far too much competing against the 200RMS of mid/high range I had set up. It does play clean, so long as you don't abuse it of course :p. I never pushed it past half-way on the gain dial and as I said, kept it around 85 Hz for the cutoff (I realize it would seem otherwise from the photo - changed it to the 'recommended' settings... manual was telling me to set the crossover at 115 even, but that just scared me). Never pushed the Bass EQ up either. It rattled my car non-the less and I had no issue turning heads with the windows down. On top of that, I am a bass-head... listened to a lot of metal/trance/ DUBSTEP... always clear. But because I was afraid to push it too hard (and for all I know, it could have gotten even louder with no problem, I just try to take care of my gear) it never reached the true volumes and frequency response I was looking for (dubstep = sub 35Hz)

Plenty of complements from friends though - apparently I had the best sounding car... just they WAIT till I get my REAL system into my new ride, only a few of them know what a real system should sound like - I look forward to educating the rest on the subject. All that said, soundwise, I certainly wouldn't downgrade from the 15", unless space was a concern. I have never heard a Type R so I can't say how they would compare in terms of sound quality. But I would imagine that the 15" can get down a lot lower and probably push a little more air while its at it

I've got some playing around with the positioning of my sub in my Jeep. If I can't get it how I want it, I'll be hitting you up if you still have this. I don't know if anyone else has had issues with ZJs, but I've had like 4 different subs in there and none of them seem to be able to play low frequencies. I'm starting to think it's the Jeep and not the subs I've tried. Regardless, I'll be hitting you up if I can't get my sub to sound better.

Got a few inquiries, but no deal just yet. Bump it to the top.

Posting from work, so need this disclaimer:

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Sorry, got my eye on a Shiva X2 and actually got a sale pending on that at the moment, so mostly cash. Although an Optima Yellowtop 35D + a bit of cash would be a great trade for me...

I was thinking about picking up a Shiva X2 for the Jeep too, when they are back in stock this summer. That's one bad sub. I don't have an Optima D35, but I do have a D34/78. It's bigger than the D35, the terminals are flipped around (well, actually the D35 is backwards, the other batteries are normal), it's got side posts, but it's going into my Caprice to replace my D34/78 that decided to cook one of it's cells. Word of advice, if you get one of them, DO NOT jump start that battery if it should die. Trickle charge it every time it needs a charge. You'll cook it otherwise. Take my failure and experience it only vicariously.

Good to know man... I don't usually deplete my batteries, but it does happen from time to time.... How does one go about trickle charging a battery though without jumping it, say if I happened to have killed it at some mall parking lot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...