Alpine PDX1.1000 keeps blowing fuses :( HELP

Call_it_done
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
PA
Hey,

So I just had my build done (I'll be posting a log sometime soon), but I still have one annoying problem. I have the pdx1.1000 running one 13w6v2 and the pdx2.150 running a set of momo's. I have a stock 80amp alt (not much I know //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif ). My problem is that the fuses on the pdx1.1000 (4 20amp fuses) have blown twice. I have a monster audio breaker in the front at the battery but it is 100amps and the amp only has 80amps in fuses. I'm working on getting a matching 80amp fuse for the front. My question is why are the fuses blowing? It's not getting that much power so I don't understand. Thanks for any help and here's just a pic of my final product.>>>>

IMG00040.jpg

IMG00041.jpg

does it do this when driving? or will it blow them while sitting still as well.
The first time the fuses blew, I was sitting at the BK Lounge showing the build. I had it loud definitely but they still shouldn't have blown. The second time I was driving down the highway and it did it again.

did you double check ever piece of your power/ground wires. battery to amp.
Yeah I checked it all over again. No problems anywhere. It's annoying to replace those fuses because I have to take the whole build apart to get to the amps. IDK

I beleive that the PDX1.1000 needs 4 25 amp fuses the first gen. had 4 20's and most had your issue. I don't have a 1000.1 in stock right now so I can not check for ya. Maybe someone has a newer one and can chime in.

I used to have a pdx 1000.1 great amp. I would chech to see that you don't have any wire exposed at the amp that would ground it out. Also what is the imped are you running it at. I tryed to run it at 1.6 and it went into pretect.

Those subs only come in D4. It's impossible to wire one to 1 ohm. Check your gain. It might be set too high. The sub doesn't need nearly all of the power that amp can provide.

Also, no reason to swap the breaker out for something smaller. I don't trust breakers, but the size isn't a problem. The amp has its own fuses to protect it, it doesn't need more protection.

Those subs only come in D4. It's impossible to wire one to 1 ohm. Check your gain. It might be set too high. The sub doesn't need nearly all of the power that amp can provide.
Also, no reason to swap the breaker out for something smaller. I don't trust breakers, but the size isn't a problem. The amp has its own fuses to protect it, it doesn't need more protection.
Correct, sub is wired at 2, what the amp can handle. I'm setting the front fuse to 80 also so i can just replace one fuse in front instead of taking apart my build every time to get to the amp.

It is a known issue that I have heard from Alpine dealers - they all told me that they put in 4x 25-amp fuses and its good to go.
Ok great. But with that extra 20amps the amp will still protect itself safely before it blows?

Fuses in the amp rarely actually protect much of anything in the amp. Usually something is already blown in the amp before the fuses go. The fuses keep it from blowing a lot more or catching fire. Sounds like they underfused it. The amp would have to be nearly 100% efficient to do rated power and be OK with only 80A of fusing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.