Alpine PDX vs. Sundown SAX

SSon22s
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Racine,WI
What do you guys think about the two amps? I am going to be powering a set of Alpine SPR-17S Comps (I know they are not the best) but I work for an authorized dealer and can get great prices...Obviously the pdx 2.150 will have more power than the 100.2 but what would u say for these comps which are about 110WRMS and headroom is always good but just wondering what you guys think?

well most people are experiencing closer to 125rms a channel form the sundown, and as far and clean signal / bang for the buck i'd get the sundown. But then again im biased

What do you guys think about the two amps? I am going to be powering a set of Alpine SPR-17S Comps (I know they are not the best) but I work for an authorized dealer and can get great prices...Obviously the pdx 2.150 will have more power than the 100.2 but what would u say for these comps which are about 110WRMS and headroom is always good but just wondering what you guys think?
pdx's are smaller, more effecient and put out more power, hmm tough choice, lol. If prices are even close I see NO reason to get the sundown. Honestly, I never got the fascination with those amps in the firstplace, but definetly not in this case.

I have to say defnitely the PDX, and I love Sundown. But the Alpine is smaller, sexier and puts out a lot more power.

IIRC, the PDX 4.150 usually birth's at around 170-185 RMS per channel.

Well I checked into it and pricewise the Sundown is alot cheaper and should be enough for the Spr-17S comps and SPR-69C coaxs unless the pdx is going to make a substantial difference in sound and output....

Well I checked into it and pricewise the Sundown is alot cheaper and should be enough for the Spr-17S comps and SPR-69C coaxs unless the pdx is going to make a substantial difference in sound and output....
PDX-2.150 is less than $250 on eBay.

PDX-2.150 is less than $250 on eBay.
Well I work for an authorized Alpine and Sundown dealer so I get stuff at cost Im just trying to keep around my budget which is right where the pdx 150.2 and sundown 100.4 fall, Id love to do the 150.4 but its another $150 which I dont really want to spend:crap:

Well I bit the bullet and ordered the PDX 150.4 after I got to demo the Sundown then we pulled it out and switched to the pdx, sound quality was pretty close but volume, the pdx was louder to me..

Well I bit the bullet and ordered the PDX 150.4 after I got to demo the Sundown then we pulled it out and switched to the pdx, sound quality was pretty close but volume, the pdx was louder to me..
Should be a hair louder, around 1.5 dB for 50% more power per channel. It is also a bit more expensive, so not a big surprise all in all that it's louder. Shows that Alpine scales well for the dollar vs. the competition.

As a note, if your PDX blows fuses you just need to put bigger ones in... not sure if you guys got the notice, but some other dealers that I know got a notice from Alpine about that -- that is what they told me anyhow, seemed to work for them to remedy the issue!

good choice //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif the PDX is a nice line of amps.

Should be a hair louder, around 1.5 dB for 50% more power per channel. It is also a bit more expensive, so not a big surprise all in all that it's louder. Shows that Alpine scales well for the dollar vs. the competition.
As a note, if your PDX blows fuses you just need to put bigger ones in... not sure if you guys got the notice, but some other dealers that I know got a notice from Alpine about that -- that is what they told me anyhow, seemed to work for them to remedy the issue!
Thanks Jacob, I LOVE using your amps and they are def up on the top of my lists, but this time I wanted to do something with a little more power/different, Cost was definitely more for th 150.4 but I know Ill have a lil bit more headroom...Ill still be running Sundown for my substage //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

i think ill always run sundown for my sub stage for it power to price and it reliability and service. Pretty efficient too and for the most part way underrated. but front stage i see 2 options for me. sundown and the pdx lines. based on ur installation situation id switch between mine. while the pdx amps are efficient and small profile and do good power, they get really really hot, but it understandable for the smaller heatsink for the small profile design. so in the trunk with little ventilation or mounting on the back seat, under false floor etc.... i would run either sundown or build a ventilation system with push and pull fans to cool alpine. if not it will go into protect.

however, if space is concern and ull be running multiple pdx amps. i feel here is your advantage or if ur struggling for efficiency. you can stack the amps or they can take little room when mounting while pulling little draw as well.

Both look amazing and have a very elite and luxorious black brushed aluminum look with silver trim.

i feel both do great power and have good price, but warrenty and service was always of concern to me and that reason alone is high up there for me. That is why i run sundown. i think jacob brings alot to table and to me it a company i want to support and build a relationship with for future transactions and buisness.

It up to you to decide. I also dont like the fact that pdx amps dont have a crossover. i needed it on mine for im running 4 way active system (3 way active front stage + sub)

this is just my 2 cents and im sure many of u can agree with me here

Mike-

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.