Alpine PDX-V9 or 2 PPI Phantom amps?

nativefx

Okay, I'm trying to put a budget setup in my commuter car which is a 2015 Toyato Camry. I already have 2 sets of Hertz DSK 165.3 for the fronts and rear. I know most don't like/want rear fill but with passengers in the car normally I want sound back there as well. I also already have 2 JL Audio 10w3v3 subs that I was planning on using in my 69 Firebird protouring build but I had to make some changes due to the AirRide suspension, relocated battery and a single JL 10w6 in a custom enclosure.

I'm planning on using the factory HU as I hate how the screen and the actual knobs/buttons are separate so I just don't think it would look nice and I still want some of the factory controls in the steering wheel and from the HU. I've been researching and found I need something like the JL Audio Fix 86 or Audison Bit 10 to equalize the signal from the hu before sending to the amp(s). I don't completely understand all of this or if these are still my best option?

My question now is, what would be the best budget setup that would still sound good in my car. I was originally going to go with a PPI Phantom P900.4 for the mids & highs and then get a PPI Phantom P1000.1 to run the subs. Looking at the specs, these are more than enough power, but it means running more wires etc. to hook everything up.

The other option I recently began to look into was using a 5 channel amp that would still provide enough power for the 2 subs. I came across the Alpine PDX-V9 and from the little time spent looking for reviews, it seems to be a pretty solid amp. It says it provide 100w x 4 @ 4ohms and can provide 500w x 1 @ 2ohms for my subs. Would this be sufficient for my setup? I listen to mostly hip-hop, old school rap, R&B, and some blues while commuting and I do normally listen at higher volumes. Unfortunately the easiest option is to play Pandora via bluetooth, which doesn't really give me the cleanest sound.

Let me know your thoughts and what you recommend for what I'm considering. I'm also open to other suggestions regarding amp(s). PS - I will put some Dynomat Extreme in key areas to help with the sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
depends whats more important if u want more bass the p1k is more than twice the power.. if u want mostly sq and less bass u can do the 5 channel but my ppi is good.. there are other more powerful 5 channels too consider to though

Okay, I'm trying to put a budget setup in my commuter car which is a 2015 Toyato Camry. I already have 2 sets of Hertz DSK 165.3 for the fronts and rear. I know most don't like/want rear fill but with passengers in the car normally I want sound back there as well. I also already have 2 JL Audio 10w3v3 subs that I was planning on using in my 69 Firebird protouring build but I had to make some changes due to the AirRide suspension, relocated battery and a single JL 10w6 in a custom enclosure.
I'm planning on using the factory HU as I hate how the screen and the actual knobs/buttons are separate so I just don't think it would look nice and I still want some of the factory controls in the steering wheel and from the HU. I've been researching and found I need something like the JL Audio Fix 86 or Audison Bit 10 to equalize the signal from the hu before sending to the amp(s). I don't completely understand all of this or if these are still my best option?

My question now is, what would be the best budget setup that would still sound good in my car. I was originally going to go with a PPI Phantom P900.4 for the mids & highs and then get a PPI Phantom P1000.1 to run the subs. Looking at the specs, these are more than enough power, but it means running more wires etc. to hook everything up.

The other option I recently began to look into was using a 5 channel amp that would still provide enough power for the 2 subs. I came across the Alpine PDX-V9 and from the little time spent looking for reviews, it seems to be a pretty solid amp. It says it provide 100w x 4 @ 4ohms and can provide 500w x 1 @ 2ohms for my subs. Would this be sufficient for my setup? I listen to mostly hip-hop, old school rap, R&B, and some blues while commuting and I do normally listen at higher volumes. Unfortunately the easiest option is to play Pandora via bluetooth, which doesn't really give me the cleanest sound.

Let me know your thoughts and what you recommend for what I'm considering. I'm also open to other suggestions regarding amp(s). PS - I will put some Dynomat Extreme in key areas to help with the sound.
I am running both of those amps , PPI 1000.1 is my backup when working on my HD15000 and its a little beast of an amp. I have tried to blow it up and couldnt ! The ppi900.4 is also a very good choice I have had one running my mids and highs for a few years now and no complaints at all ! They also have the ppi 900.5 and at 2 ohms sub output is around 450 I think ? May be worth looking at ? I would go ppi 900.4 and ppi 1000.1 best bang for the buck!

Amp dyno test

depends whats more important if u want more bass the p1k is more than twice the power.. if u want mostly sq and less bass u can do the 5 channel but my ppi is good.. there are other more powerful 5 channels too consider to though
Any recommendations on other 5 channel amps to consider? Something within roughly the same budget?

As for the amount of bass, I guess I just wasn't sure how well the 500w from the Alpine would push the 2 JL 10w3's? I don't want the bass to completely overpower the fronts, but I just wasn't sure if 500w would be sufficient or if I would be better off with almost double the power and then be able to adjust to what I want? For budget amps I've read some good things about the PPI Phantoms which is why this was my initial thought cause I could get the 900.4 & the 1000.1 for roughly $320. The Alpine is about a $100 more, but it would probably be a wash as it makes it easier to install and requires less wire, distribution block, etc.....

Personally I would lean towards the Alpine, but I prefer 5 channels for a cleaner install. Not to mention I also prefer the Alpine's aesthetics and form factor.

The ppi amps are solid little contenders, but if you plan on running them to full potential you likely have electrical upgrades in your future. Additional power isn't always free and with voltage drop you might not see as much difference in performance as you were hoping compared to the Alpine. You could always make the decision that two ppi amps are still likely cheaper than the Alpine and leave you room for more power on down the road if and when you decide to beef up your electrical.

The SQ differences should be minor assuming you use a processor. Don't listen to Grandpa about SQ. He thinks lower power setups are "SQ":rolleyes:

It may be easier to sell the ppi later on down the road as well although I haven't ever seen a V9 sit around too long on diyma's forum if the price is reasonable. There are pros and cons to each, but I would imagine most people on here are going to lean towards the PPIs. They're budget friendly and solid performers.

Any recommendations on other 5 channel amps to consider? Something within roughly the same budget?
As for the amount of bass, I guess I just wasn't sure how well the 500w from the Alpine would push the 2 JL 10w3's? I don't want the bass to completely overpower the fronts, but I just wasn't sure if 500w would be sufficient or if I would be better off with almost double the power and then be able to adjust to what I want? For budget amps I've read some good things about the PPI Phantoms which is why this was my initial thought cause I could get the 900.4 & the 1000.1 for roughly $320. The Alpine is about a $100 more, but it would probably be a wash as it makes it easier to install and requires less wire, distribution block, etc.....
yeah he is right is u run both ppi at full power u will need 0ga and big 3 wires done under hood.. if u don't want crazy bass u could do less power to subs, most of us over power subs so we can keep gain low not use any boost send clean signal.. i saw 3 or 5 channel somewhere had 800 to sub i'll see if i can find it..

well can't find it now all i found was $419 sundown which is also 500 to subs, if u only had 1 pair of speakers i'd say get 2 channel for doors run rear off hu and use big amp for subs.. try a 5 channel u may like it if not big d class amps will be waiting for u lol..

Can also keep an eye out for a DD d5.1000, I just recently sold one for $325... Going rate for those are 300-400 used. 4x90W and 1x1000W @ 1ohm
Do you know what the sub channel puts out at 2ohm? I've got 2 single voice coil 4ohm subs, so I'll be running a 2 ohm load for those. Heard good things about DD audio so I'd be interested to get more input about them.

I'm running an Alpine PDX-V9 amp's 500W sub output into a JL Audio 12TW3-D4 400W TW3 Thin-Line Series 12" Dual 4 ohm (parallel for 2 ohm) Subwoofer and it's PERFECT!! NOT a BASS MONSTER but much more appropo for the rest of the music playing. Exactly what I wanted too!

And I've heard OK things about Dynamat but I used Second Skin's Damplifier Pro and Luxury Liner Pro. Great stuff! Had some Bquiet and used some of that too. It's OK, not as cool and easy to work with and effective as Damplifier Pro though.

John Kuthe...

I would consider mine going out for the right $//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/escape.gif.52b661afb17bde1db0e0c7da97e75b38.gif
Has your amp ever been benched? Or one that has been, that you know of?

---------- Post added at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 AM ----------

The sundown 1100.5 is 1 ohm stable and puts out 800 watts on sub channel.
Wonder if anybody has benched that amp yet...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.