Alpine PDX-V9 or 2 PPI Phantom amps?

Do you know what the sub channel puts out at 2ohm? I've got 2 single voice coil 4ohm subs, so I'll be running a 2 ohm load for those. Heard good things about DD audio so I'd be interested to get more input about them.
500w rms @ 2 ohm on the sub channel

Has your amp ever been benched? Or one that has been, that you know of? 

---------- Post added at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 AM ----------

Wonder if anybody has benched that amp yet...
I thought that someone has, but i cant be 100% certain..I thought it was close to 1k on the sub channel @14v.and a good 125 rms on the other channels is the reason I picked it up to run a portion of one of my front stages with a pair of 500- 600 rms 10" subs to put under my front seats picking up around 50-60 htz while keeping a pair of 12s /substage on another amp in the rear in the 30s on up and cut off at 50-60.Ill have to research it

[quote name='audiobaun']I thought that someone has, but i cant be 100% certain..I thought it was close to 1k on the sub channel @14v.and a good 125 rms on the other channels is the reason I picked it up to run a portion of one of my front stages with a pair of 500- 600 rms 10" subs to put under my front seats picking up around 50-60 htz while keeping a pair of 12s /substage on another amp in the rear in the 30s on up and cut off at 50-60.Ill have to research it[/QUOTE]
@audiobaun PM me a price you want for that amp. I gotta pretty weak 3 ch amp and it's just not putting out the power I was hoping (way to go Massive Audio, no longer buying ANY of your amps anymore). I gotta simple system in my s10 which is comps and a single 8" sub.

Im looking an the alpine 5ch also can anyone tell me how alpine put out the same power and 2 and 4 ohms where other brands put out alot more power at 2?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Any recommendations on other 5 channel amps to consider? Something within roughly the same budget?
As for the amount of bass, I guess I just wasn't sure how well the 500w from the Alpine would push the 2 JL 10w3's? I don't want the bass to completely overpower the fronts, but I just wasn't sure if 500w would be sufficient or if I would be better off with almost double the power and then be able to adjust to what I want? For budget amps I've read some good things about the PPI Phantoms which is why this was my initial thought cause I could get the 900.4 & the 1000.1 for roughly $320. The Alpine is about a $100 more, but it would probably be a wash as it makes it easier to install and requires less wire, distribution block, etc.....
you can get two soundstream 900.4 which is the exact same amp as the ppi but a lot cheaper. Bridge the two amps and have 450 x 4 channels of power. Headroom for days. Would cost as much as the alpine but you have A LOT more power to keep the signal a lot cleaner.

I tried several amps and settled on the PDX V9 by Alpine. I had a total junk box crunch amp, that thing clipped at any reasonable level, but actually had very clean sound at low gain setting when it got my head unit's input via Line out converter.

I used a basic Kenwood 4 channel as a test amp, a bit high noise floor and the gain couldn't be increased much when i went high level (clean preamp from my factory Bose head unit, actually ran it at 43 out of 45 to the Crunch amp, had not distortion) to rca.

The sound stream 900.4 (tarantula) was good and cheap, and felt really nice, but even with gain very low (if input was via line out converter or the high level to RCA mentioned above) the noise floor was just disgusting. i know if the song is playing and is loud enough it can't be noticed, but every quiet moment in the music would drive me insane. I spent all dang night looking for the sound gremlin causing the buzz sound at zero volume. re grounded it, did the LOC and hi level to RCA, even tried a ground loop isolator (this noise occurred if i had the RCAs connected or not, as long as speaker wires were connected then I got the noise). Now my car might just be a noisy electrical environment or something, but the moment i put the alpine in it was night and day. dead dead quiet with nothing playing, and blazing loud and clear when turned up.

In terms of output: mine came of scamazon, so no build sheet, but i tested the output with a DMM and was kinda confused by the results. with a 40 and 50htz test tone (via USB, hi bit rate MP3) and my HU set to 40 out of 45, the individual 4 channels were each about 28 volts, the sub was like 66! Now, i suspect my headunit just belts out mad voltage (say 8 vs 4 or 4.5 like many others do) but the gain was set to under 2 out of 7 notches (where 1 is the absolute bottom and 7 is the absolute top) and those numbers really made me give my head a shake.

So based on the above (and someone, please tell me where i messed up and why my numbers are goofy), the PDX V9 puts out some strong power.

you can get two soundstream 900.4 which is the exact same amp as the ppi but a lot cheaper. Bridge the two amps and have 450 x 4 channels of power. Headroom for days. Would cost as much as the alpine but you have A LOT more power to keep the signal a lot cleaner.
I installed the Soundstream 4.900 and 1.1200 in my wife’s Honda and IMO for

Diy has a thread on this. They switched this amp up, which may explain why some here love it, and some here (me) think it *****.

Evidently they downgraded the whole thing, kept shell the same

yeah he is right is u run both ppi at full power u will need 0ga and big 3 wires done under hood.. if u don't want crazy bass u could do less power to subs, most of us over power subs so we can keep gain low not use any boost send clean signal.. i saw 3 or 5 channel somewhere had 800 to sub i'll see if i can find it..
My opinion is that with those extra $100 just get extra wire and do the big 3. He has the budget for it might as well do it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.