Alpine MRV-M500 amp tuning questions

71dodge
10+ year member

Hello everyone, got my alpine mrv-m500 wired up today, it is now the new power source for my 2 jl audio 10" subs. Heres some quick specs.

Alpine mrv-m500 mono amp: 500 watts rms @ 2ohms

2 Jl audio 10" subs (cant remember the model) 200 watts rms each @ 4ohms

The two subs are wired in parallel to the amp, the two 4ohm suns wired in parallel show a 2ohm load on the amp. I got the test card that alpine sends you and its tested output is at 527 watts.

I know im within the 75-150% rms wattage range for the subs, but i need to get some advice on how to adjust the amps settings. I have the gain on one mark below max and the lpf is set at about 100 and bass boost is at 6 db. My issue is it seems the lows arent very low, i mean they hit but are more noticeable at mids and highs, is this due to the 10" subs nature? I have the sub setting all the way up on my alpine head unit. Will setting the lpf change the lows at all? I also believe the alpine head unit i have has a hpf setting but id have to check. Other than that it sounds great. I have read to set the gain just before the speakers distort so that they wont distort at high volume. However i leave my sub set on max on the head unit so that i can choose to have loud bass at lower music levels or have loud bass at high music levels.

Any guidance is appreciated

MRX M50 1st of all (or you could me the MRP M500) double check that! . 2nd I'd like to know the model number for those subs.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Hello everyone, got my alpine mrv-m500 wired up today, it is now the new power source for my 2 jl audio 10" subs. Heres some quick specs.
Alpine mrv-m500 mono amp: 500 watts rms @ 2ohms

2 Jl audio 10" subs (cant remember the model) 200 watts rms each @ 4ohms

The two subs are wired in parallel to the amp, the two 4ohm suns wired in parallel show a 2ohm load on the amp. I got the test card that alpine sends you and its tested output is at 527 watts.

I know im within the 75-150% rms wattage range for the subs, but i need to get some advice on how to adjust the amps settings. I have the gain on one mark below max and the lpf is set at about 100 and bass boost is at 6 db. My issue is it seems the lows arent very low, i mean they hit but are more noticeable at mids and highs, is this due to the 10" subs nature? I have the sub setting all the way up on my alpine head unit. Will setting the lpf change the lows at all? I also believe the alpine head unit i have has a hpf setting but id have to check. Other than that it sounds great. I have read to set the gain just before the speakers distort so that they wont distort at high volume. However i leave my sub set on max on the head unit so that i can choose to have loud bass at lower music levels or have loud bass at high music levels.

Any guidance is appreciated
Turn bass boost off before you blow your subs.

Loudness off, bass boost off in the head unit settings. Sub level can be maxed thats fine. Volume on the head unit should be high as well. Any eq settings regarding bass should be off too.

Not being able to play lows is from the box its in and its design which is the most important factor in your whole setup, i suspect your box is a junk premade box, how the box is facing and the subwoofer you are using.

Sub size doesnt factor in how low or high the sub plays it just determines how loud you get.

Turn bass boost off before you blow your subs.
Loudness off, bass boost off in the head unit settings. Sub level can be maxed thats fine. Volume on the head unit should be high as well. Any eq settings regarding bass should be off too.

Not being able to play lows is from the box its in and its design which is the most important factor in your whole setup, i suspect your box is a junk premade box, how the box is facing and the subwoofer you are using.

Sub size doesnt factor in how low or high the sub plays it just determines how loud you get.
Follow these things and you should be good to go.

Its a premade sealed box but its the right size for the subs, i dont have access to the equipment to manufacture my own box. It seemed like a well made box, i re sealed all inside seems plus it also came with insulation in it. So turn all bass adjustments off on the head unit and all the way up on the amp? Also how I determine what to set the lpf at?

Its a premade sealed box but its the right size for the subs, i dont have access to the equipment to manufacture my own box. It seemed like a well made box, i re sealed all inside seems plus it also came with insulation in it. So turn all bass adjustments off on the head unit and all the way up on the amp? Also how I determine what to set the lpf at?
Insulation?? insulation is for houses. Polyfil, which is what I'm betting you mean, is for inside enclosures. I don't use it, maybe a few people on here do. Mostly for sealed enclosures. Imo, it's a waste...but somehow makes the sound better....??

How to Set the Gain on a Car Amplifier (with Pictures) - wikiHow

either i read it wrong or peeps missed it did u say u have gain almost all the up? usually gain is between 15-60% depending on hu voltage and amp so i'd turn gain down.. lp should be set at 80-120hz that up to u (whatever sounds best and what music u listen to, rock u will set higher than rap) don't turn anything all the way up is easiest answer, hu volume shouldn't go past 80% most peeps here don't use any bass boost if u must use and use a tad on sub amp, not hu cause that just distorts your other speakers..

maybe subs need to break in some but sealed just not crazy loud.. only other think i'd say is make sure u don't have the +&- reversed on sub box..

either i read it wrong or peeps missed it did u say u have gain almost all the up? usually gain is between 15-60% depending on hu voltage and amp so i'd turn gain down.. lp should be set at 80-120hz that up to u (whatever sounds best and what music u listen to, rock u will set higher than rap) don't turn anything all the way up is easiest answer, hu volume shouldn't go past 80% most peeps here don't use any bass boost if u must use and use a tad on sub amp, not hu cause that just distorts your other speakers..
Ok heres my setup on my head unit: equalizer setting bass -7, mid +5, high +5, subwoofer goes between 0-15 usually if i want the bass loud with the music relatively quiet i run it at 15, if i want the music to be loud (usually with windows down) i will turn the subwoofer to between 0-10 depending on music and head unit volume level, simply the louder i play my music the lower i go in the sub setting. So should i always leave the sub setting on my head unit at 0? It doesn't say its bass boost just say subwoofer. So 0 on sub setting on head unit and do all my bass adjustments on the amp?

Be patient with me guys im never had any experiences properly adjusting a amp before

Ok heres my setup on my head unit: equalizer setting bass -7, mid +5, high +5, subwoofer goes between 0-15 usually if i want the bass loud with the music relatively quiet i run it at 15, if i want the music to be loud (usually with windows down) i will turn the subwoofer to between 0-10 depending on music and head unit volume level, simply the louder i play my music the lower i go in the sub setting. So should i always leave the sub setting on my head unit at 0? It doesn't say its bass boost just say subwoofer. So 0 on sub setting on head unit and do all my bass adjustments on the amp?
Be patient with me guys im never had any experiences properly adjusting a amp before
no u can turn sub volume up thats fine., what u are doing is like what jeff calls active gaining (or something like that) i do it to with amp sub volume control and if wife gets in car and i know we be listening to old music (real old sometimes) i set my hp xover on speakers down to 80 (usually have it at 150 cause i play rebassed music) and i set sub volume on hu to 5 (for songs with little bass) normally have it at 1 or 2 for heavy bass.. when we get home i reset everything before i get out of car lol.. do u have hp xover on speakers (from hu or 2nd amp)? do u have rebassed songs?

I don't recommend boosting with your EQ. Just cut.

Pick up an RCA gain knob so you don't have to go through your headunit settings all the time when you want to turn the subwoofer up or down.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.