Alpine iDA-X001 + Equalizer

Abell255
10+ year member

Lost.
Hey guys, i'm in need of some of your input in regards to a change in my system. I currently only use my 30GB ipod in my car and i don't care for the slow interface i'm using. Also, i must state in advance, i am always changing up my system because i get tired of what i've got...so that's another reason why i want a change. Anyways, when i saw the new Alpine, i fell in love with it. Knowing alpine's sweet SQ features in it's units lately, i quickly went to search for an EQ, since coming from the 7800 with the 16-band. After a lot of searching for DIN sized units, i came up with the Kenwood KGC-9044 ( http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_476_Kenwood+KGC-9044.html# ) I'm not to familiar with EQ's...i see they have the 3 sets of outputs for my amps, but only one input? Do i just use like the front output from the iDA-X001? Might be a dumb question, but i'm just dumbfounded. Also, any experience with that unit? It looks to be a nice unit, although kind of pricey. I'm also going to go with the CD changer, CHA-S634, so i can listen to the huge cd collection i have when needed. To sum it up, my questions are:

#1: Connection of an equalizer with the iDA-X001

#2: Any input in regards to the kenwood equalizer, or suggestions

#3: Any other feedback as to what other roads i can take

Deck: Pioneer 7800mp

Connection: Ipod interface, 422i

Fronts: Alpine Type-R 6x8 Components, 06' model

Rears: Alpine Typr-R 6x8's

Substage: Image Dynamics IDMAX D2 12"

4-channel: Elemental Designs ninE.4

Monoblock: Elemental Designs ninE.1

Thanks for your time, just need a few simple answers from ya guys.

-Austin

You will love the unit. I just installed it and replaced a cda9833. I was going to buy an eq for the 9833 but hated its inability to controlle the ipod properly. The IDAx001 sounds a million times better, and I am no longer going to install an eq. It sounds that good...and I don't even know how to use it yet!

I wonder if the pxa-h701 would work with this unit? If so, that's niiiiice.
Edit: It can.
The AI-net connection on the unit is analog.. If you don't mind converting to analog once with the nice burr-browns in the IDA unit, then doing two more A/D then D/A conversions in the processor, then it would work.. Defeats the purpose of having the external processor as the signal is degraded with each conversion.

If the IDA had either an optical out or internal time-alignment, it would be the perfect no-CD head unit, IMO.

Pioneer/Kenwood/Clarion/Eclipse have an excellent chance if they build one like this (no-CD = no-moving parts) WITH TA and 3way XO.. and keep it in the general price range.

If the IDA had either an optical out or internal time-alignment
That's what I was asking. It seems I heard that it does have tos-link out, but I can't remember where I heard that.

Alpine's site has a little "optical" image for the optical units, but this one doesn't have it. So, I guess it isn't. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I took the liberty to download the manual.. pg 35 shows a diagram.

The IDA-X001 has an Ai-NET, a USB input, an iPod direct input, and RCA outs.. That's it.

So to me that means there is NO way to do time alignment (or EQ) with this unit in the digital domain without 1st converting to analog, then going to the external processor via Ai-NET and reconverting back to digital.. Unless I'm just ignorant about Ai-Net and it does send the signal in digital.. However, the Ai-NET input on the H701 plainly says "Analog".. So.. Darn! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif Because the head unit is reported to sound pretty darn good.. It would sound AWESOME if the speaker phasing could be set.

I'm hoping this is the first of more units like this to come from Alpine, because I think it's a great start for those that are done with carrying around CD's in the car vs. USB sticks and iPods with lossless files for sound quality.

If I had my choice, I'd rather the HU doe the time alignment internally rather than adding an optical out to force the purchase of the H701 to get digital processing.

Opinion.. again.. I think Pioneer Premier needs an updated version of all the SQ features in the 880PRS mated with the non-CD / iPod / USB format of the IDA.. That would be some HU.

If I had my choice, I'd rather the HU doe the time alignment internally rather than adding an optical out to force the purchase of the H701 to get digital processing.
I wouldn't be surprised if they offer another level of this unit down the line. One with all the features of the higher end units.

Finally, Alpine has done something right with their non-dvd line for the first time in a couple years.

Agreed..

I think it's an excellent start.. I'd be all over it if it had the SQ features to back up the decent built in dacs.

There's such a gap between real SQ units and the current "do everything units"...

Very few folks can appreciate or know how to setup a system to really show what 96 kHz oversampling dual 24-bit BB dacs can do for your ears, especially when all the speakers are aligned for imaging and staging.. plus not too many cars can be made quiet enough to hear the difference.

I may just have to do a 9255 and be done.. and suffer with CD cases.

Agreed.. I think it's an excellent start.. I'd be all over it if it had the SQ features to back up the decent built in dacs.

There's such a gap between real SQ units and the current "do everything units"...

Very few folks can appreciate or know how to setup a system to really show what 96 kHz oversampling dual 24-bit BB dacs can do for your ears, especially when all the speakers are aligned for imaging and staging.. plus not too many cars can be made quiet enough to hear the difference.

I may just have to do a 9255 and be done.. and suffer with CD cases.
Partly that's the reason I got the external processor. I like alot of Alpine's dvd units, however they don't have any tuning capabilities which you would expect them to have for $1000+ but that's another story...

It just stinks that you have to pay $500+ for those features on a deck, or be forced to buy the processor. It doesn't really effect me since I like the dvd units anyway..but for those who want a nice deck there's not too many options.

Babs, so you think the Ida-X001 with a pioneer deq-7600 wouldn't be logical? I know it doesn't have an optical out, but can't i just use a pre-out to hook into the eq or would that only be analog crap? I'm curious because i hate my 7800's ipod functionality, but i love the other feautures. I can get the 7600 for 170, and sell my 7800 for a good amount.

^Also, because i'm installing my Type-x's tomorrow, and deadening my doors. Also, running 3 new sets of dual-twist rockford RCA's. I'm trying to get the best of SQ and ease using my ipod.... -thanks

My thoughts on that setup..

What it would allow you to do (The pro's):

- Very rudamentary seat location setup (not full time alignment)

- Some EQ capability (graphic rather than parametric)

- A nifty spectrum analyzer if you're into that

- hall/stadium dsp stuff (to me that's just adding distortion to the original music)

The con's:

- Have to find another place in your dash to mount it

- Converting your signal in the IDA pretty well using the internal DACs in the IDA, but then you're converting BACK to digital in the EQ thing, then BACK to analog (two-more stages of signal degradation from original)

- No time alignment other than seating position presets

- Very simplistic crossover that's in a lot of head units now as is

You can tell, I'm not too much in favor of the combo.. But I'm a purest.. I'd want all my time alignment, EQing (which I'm very conservative with), or any other processing (seating position, etc) to be done UpFront (keyword) in the digital domain, even the crossover if possible, then D/A conversion through excellent DAC's and preamplified cleanly, then straight to the amps. The one thing I would compromise in terms of processing AFTER the D/A conversion would be the crossover/eq... But I'd DEFINITELY NOT want another A/D -> D/A conversion in the chain.

Hope I made sense //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

I personally think you'd not really gain much for your cash and trouble.. probably better off just with the IDA by itself.

What really irks me off with alpine.. Can't even tell from their site if this thing has any kind of internal crossover.. Just says 3 sets of rca's.. That indicates to me you'd need external crossovers for your mains and sub or use the x-overs on your amps, which is no big deal, that's what they're there for.

Man the lack of an optical out on the IDA really kills it for me, because this HU with the H701 (which is just slightly more than your pioneer EQ) would be a KILLER setup.. especially for lossless formats.. comp-level sound with convenience of an iPod.. all processing digitally in the H701. too bad.

Otherwise, I wouldn't have any problem at all going with this HU.. It just does iPod very well, and leaves it at that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.