Alpine ICS X7HD, Critical Mass 654a, JL Zr 650 CSI, Zapco car audio build

Participant count
  • Participant list

HatchbackSaab

I am looking for some recommendations on my car audio build, this will be going into a 1999 Saab 9-3 hatchback. The car was equipped with a 6 speaker system. 3.5" dash, 6.5" front doors, and 6x9" in the rear and has the upgraded amplifier which I will be replacing regardless. I will most likely get 6.5" converters to replace the rear 6x9's if I choose to use rear speakers. I am going for sound quality. Will most likely solder all connections unless suggested otherwise.

Parts I already own:

Alpine ICS X7HD meckless deck

internal amp (18 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels

9-band parametric equalizer

inputs: rear USB input, rear A/V input

outputs: rear A/V output, 6-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear, subwoofer)

Zapco 650.6 amplifier with Sldin T

6x50 Watts RMS @ 4 Ohms

6x104 Watts RMS @ 2 Ohms

2x190 Watts RMS Bridged (4 Ohms, ch 1+2, 3+4)

1x360 Watts RMS Bridged (2 Ohms, ch 5+6)

Optional SymbiLink Balanced Inputs

Built in Variable Electronic Crossovers

Max. Current Requirements 80 Amps @ 540 watts

Critical mass Cm654a pro comp set: 6.5" speakers, 3.5" speakers with 4 channel amp.

Amp handling 500 watt max handling

RMS Power Handling : 400 W/ CHANNEL

X-Over Type : 24 db/oct

Impedance: 4 Ohms

JL Audio ZR650-CSI 6.5" 450W Evolution ZR Series 2-way Component System with 3.5" dash speakers.

Power Handling:

Peak: 450 watts per pair / 225 watts each

RMS: 170 watts per pair / 85 watts each

2-Way Crossover

Impedance: 4 Ohms

Extras: Part# in quotations.

Xscorpion 0/2/4ga universal platinum fuse holder (anl1010p) with 100 amp anl fuse.

Xscorpion platinum battery terminals ground & power. (btrp)

Xscorpion gold 01ga ground & power connectors (rtor0 & rt0b),

Xscorpion gold 4ga ground & power connectors (rtr4 & rtb4)

Xscorpion speaker protectors (usp-5465)

Stuff I am still looking to purchase to finish the project.

Stinger (SHW510G) Audio Speaker Wire 10 Gauge Cable. Used to connect all speakers to amps or amp.

KnuKonceptz Kolossus Kandy 1/0 Gauge Blue OFC Power Wire. 0/1 gauge is for new power, ground, alternator wiring.

KnuKonceptz Kolossus Kandy 4 Gauge. To run to amps and also used for smaller existing ground and power wires on car. Still unsure if I should use this or 0/1ga all around? Roughly 13 foot run to battery to amp. Short 1-3 foot run amp to car body ground.

Vampire Wire (BP.5) Grounding Post connector. For grounding the amp to car body.

Sound dampening: Dynamat, sky high, GTmat, liquid paint on dampening. Any suggestions?

Quality 8" or 10" Subwoofer?

I understand when you want SQL usually you don't want rear speakers. I may just go without the rears if someone can convince me of doing so. Which is better the JL or Critical Mass comps? I could cut or make new enclosures somewhere in the car/rear doors. I talked with the owner of Zapco he told me why would you run 2 different brands of speakers to the zapco so I am Still unsure if I want to use the critical mass amp or run all speakers off the zapco? Also i am looking to get a 8" or 10" sub for crisp punch. This may cause a power issue when I do get a subwoofer if I choose to only use the zapco. I listen to a lot of metal music but appreciate SQL sound more than SPL.

Any suggestions? Battery to amp ground & power size gauge? Any problems using sldin t with alpine deck? Which speakers should I put in doors and in dash? Should I make enclosures for the 3.5" speakers 8" to 6.5's in doors as recommended? May post pictures in the future.

Thanks in advance!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.