Alpine CDA-9887 - Help for the totally ignorant

FriarPark77

NOLA
Hello,

Let me start off by saying that I am totally ignorant when it comes to "good sound". I don't know any technical terms or anything like that, unfortunately, which is why I am seeking some of your expertise.

I just had an Alpine CDA-9887 headunit installed in my car yesterday, and I have no idea what most of the features do. I have read the instruction manual, and I know how to operate the unit.....My problem is that I don't know what all of this stuff "means"....E.g., Crossover, Parametric EQ, Defeat Mode, etc.... I don't know if I am getting optimal sound quality or not, basically because I am too ignorant of this stuff to know one way or the other.

Can anyone walk me through the basics? Are there optimized settings that I should use? I plan on going back to the installer tomorrow to see if he can offer me more advice, but this is driving me nuts in the meantime. I have a nice piece of stereo equipment, but I have no clue how to get the most out of it! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Thanks!

crossover will only work if you're running active. doesn't seem like you are so i would leave that alone. parametric is just an equalizer. you can change it to graphic eq for easier tuning. defeat mode just stops everything that you've changed, like your eq, sub and media xpander.

just read over your manual again, basically all you have is the eq to tune with unless you use the imprint kit.

Thanks.

What does "running active" mean?

Also, there are about 5 "bands" that need adjusting in parametric tuning. What does this mean? Is there any recommended setting?

Again, thanks for bearing with my ignorance. I wish I knew more about this stuff, but I don't.

You will have use of crossover regardless of running active or not, it's just a different type.
oh i see, didn't know that. i didn't see any difference when i was messing with the crossover while running passive..

Running active means using the headunit or an amplifier to set the crossover points for your component set rather than using the passive crossovers that come with the component set. Active, in other words, determines the exact frequencies sent to each speaker BEFORE or AT the amp rather than inline between the amp and the speakers. The 9887 has the ability to do this, as do certain other higher end headunits. It also has the ability to be a regular 2 way crossover, which allows you to set a Low Pass Filter on your Subwoofer (cuts off all frequencies above the frequency you pick, more or less) and a High Pass Filter that allows you to cut off all the frequencies below the one you choose, more or less, for your mids. Then if you use the passive crossovers (assuming you're using a component set) they will send the right frequencies to the woofer and the tweeter. There are also slopes you can set the crossover at, which determines how steeply after the chosen frequency the speaker stops responding. But that's an entirely different subject. What's important is what sounds good to you, and making sure the speakers are subjected to safe frequencies. If you set your High Pass Filter too low for your mids, you'll hear distortion at higher volumes because they aren't designed to respond like woofers, etc. Play around with the crossovers and see what sounds good to you. Typically 80-100 HZ is a safe High Pass Filter for most mids and highs. Likewise, 63-80 HZ is usually a good frequency to set your Low Pass Filter for the subs.

As far as the EQ, Parametric allows you to adjust the level of different frequencies to bring out different sounds in the music you listen to. There are usually preprogrammed options, like Rock, Rap, Jazz/Blues, etc. Also, you can customize your own to your liking. The difference between a Parametric EQ and a Graphic EQ is a Parametric EQ will boost or reduce a frequency RANGE, whereas a Graphic EQ boosts or reduces a specific frequency. For example, if you want more bass, using a Parametric EQ, you would boost the 50HZ frequency, and this will have an affect on say everything from 30 to 100 HZ, with the greatest increase at 50 HZ. If you do the same on a graphic EQ though, it will only boost the level at 50 HZ and not affect the other frequencies around it.

THere's days of information on the subject, and I am far from well-versed, but hopefully that gives you a bit of information as a starting point.

Mike

op, why did you buy this not knowing why this unit costs more than others? I mean if you don't what these features are, why'd you buy it? Just wondering is all.
well, why NOT buy it? Because once I learn what these features do, I'll be able to use them!!

It was a good purchase for sure... I think what he was asking was that if you weren't familiar with the features or what they do that set this deck apart from others, what was your incentive in buying it...

For example, if you want more bass, using a Parametric EQ, you would boost the 50HZ frequency, and this will have an affect on say everything from 30 to 100 HZ, with the greatest increase at 50 HZ. If you do the same on a graphic EQ though, it will only boost the level at 50 HZ and not affect the other frequencies around it.
Mike
Not trying to be argumentative, because I think you already know this... but I'm not sure about this last part.

IIRC, G-EQ has a built in Q that's still somewhat wide enough to effect the surrounding frequencies. I don't know what the Q would be, but it seems like it's just a very narrow Q. Regardless, this usually does have an effect on surrounding frequencies, though nowhere near as much as a P-EQ with a .5 Q. Again, that's IIRC.

As for P-EQ, you have different Q's to choose from, so you can get pretty close to G-EQ ability with this. The wider the Q, the more frequencies around it are effected and vice versa.

JL has a great Flash tutorial on P-EQ's. Here

crossover will only work if you're running active. doesn't seem like you are so i would leave that alone.
just read over your manual again, basically all you have is the eq to tune with unless you use the imprint kit.
That is incorrect....what Parag said (nismos14) is correct, the x-over will still be useful.

He has the use of the PEQ/GEQ, time alignment, and x-over settings on this unit....being run active or not.

oh i see, didn't know that. i didn't see any difference when i was messing with the crossover while running passive..
Are you running your components without the highpass x-over engaged?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.