Alpine CDA 9887, Eclipse CD7100.. USB, iPOD, and bluetooth

Participant count
  • Participant list

jdavis37
10+ year member

NC
I'm currently using an Alpine 9835 which for the most part has worked well for almost 3 years. The blue lighting on the front display buttons is starting to flake out ( which is bad because I am using the blue coloring to nearly perfectly match my Passat dash lighting ).

The rest of my system consists of an Arc 10 inch sub, 2 CDT ES series speakers in the front, and 2 Arc amps to power the sub and front.

Let me first say I'm 45 and NOT really into critical listening any more ( like I was when younger.. seems long work hours, kids, life, etc saps that desire a bit as well as other and more expensive hobbies ), so absolute perfection in terms of SQ is not my objective.

Aside from the lighting going out on my 9835, the rest of the receiver is working well. I'm fairly happy with the sound quality ( though it in no way sounds like my home system.. something I"ve only heard once before years back when using a Linear Power amp ). However, I would like the folowing options ( and want them to work easily and well ):

(1) Bluetooth capability ( spend time in car on phone and getting tired of searching for my bluetooth headset )

(2) Either USB or iPOD connectivity, preferably USB since I don't currently own an iPOD. Would be nice to easily store hundreds of songs in high quality mp3 format to avoid keeping large numbers of cd's in the car.

The 9887 seems to offer a lot of bang for the buck though I'm curious as to how well it's uSB conectivity works given the price tag is also somewhat steep. How well does the head unit control a USB device ( playlists, scrolling through osngs etc ), or is one simply better off buying an iPOD and going that route when using the 9887?

I could probably live with the CD5100 just as easily as the 7100 assuming the blue and red lighting are similar. Matching the dash lighting is somewhat important ( something the 9887 may not do a good job of ).

I'm also curious as to how the bluetooth works on each of these ( Eclipse and the Alpine ), as well as using a USB device such as a flash drive or if a portable 2.5 inch hard drive would work, with or without a power adapter.

I've read all I can find via the search function and most of the posts addressed the SQ issues, noise issues, etc, but none really discussed how well the bluetooth features worked, or the USB and/or iPOD features.

I'm asking because over the years one thing I have learned is this.. number of features, etc means little if they are a PITA to use, or if they simply do not work well. If I go the Eclipse route it will cost about $300 extra over the Alpine assuming I don't buy an iPOD for the Alpine ( can probably goe USB easier with the Eclipse assuming it owrks well enough ). I'm ok with the money if it is justified but am also getting ready to buy HID lights for my Passat, etc etc and would prefer to spend only what I need.

Any input on how well these functions work is appreciated. Thx

I know I'm not addressing everything you asked, but as far as matching the lighting, I put a 9885 (looks basically the same as the 9887) in my co-worker's Jetta and the blue matches pretty well. The stock VW lighting has a little bit of purple in it, but I'm pretty picky about that as well, and I could live with it. Just my .02

Thanks for the reply and the information. A well spent $0.02 and appreciated. While I am not super anal retentitve when it comes to matching dash lights I must admit that I do like for the lighting to match somewhat closely. Aside from not having bluetooth on my 9835, the loss of the blue lighting on my display ( everything else works perfectly fine and all the other colors work fine ) is what is leading me to consider a switch. And you are very correct about VW having a tinge of purple mixed in with the blue. Is a hard color to match. The Nak CD500 was a near perfect match and years back I nearly went that route but wanted the Sirius tuner to be built in, etc and opted for the 9835. Thanks again for the information. Common sense tells me to go with the 9887 as it probably offers most everything I need with exception of an inexpensive USB option, as long as the bluetooth works well, the iPOD interface works well and the USB interface works well //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I've had a CD5000 and 9887.. I don't know how different the 5000 are from the 5100 is though. First off the CD5000 had great Ipod control, I couldn't think of more that they could of done. Haven't used Ipod on the 9887 yet though or USB. The 9887 blows the 5000 way in terms of features but the CD5000 looked way better, still miss the look.

Thanks for the reply regarding the CD5000 and 9887. Have to agree, looks do matter to me ( to a degree ). So do ease of use.. have learned if something is really difficult to use, it usually doens't get used. Am very interested in how well the bluetooth features work as I do want convenient phone call talking while driving ( hands free already but have to dive for the headset and also have to turn the volume down using a bluetooth headset ).

If I could get an 80 or 120 Gb 2.5 inch portable hard drive to work, it would be even more convenient //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif No more CD's to store in the car //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Also, the 9886 and 9884 are being released soon, so you might be able to get a deal on a 9887. Alpine HUs aren't the easiest to use IMO, but I've always preferred the ease of use over Eclipse.

Also, the 9886 and 9884 are being released soon, so you might be able to get a deal on a 9887. Alpine HUs aren't the easiest to use IMO, but I've always preferred the ease of use over Eclipse.
Thanks. I've never had any issues navigating the 9835 menus, etc. though I have no experience with the Eclipses. I *hope* to find an hour or so tomorrow to see if I can locate these units locally though it isn't as easy as it was 15 years ago. I think Crutchfield already has the 9886 though their 9887 price is still at $399.99. I had seen where Circuit City had lowered their CD7100 price to $599 but it is out of stock. Still, it's considerably more expensive than the 9887, and it might well be money better served elsewhere. My hobbies *do* like to be fed lol //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

You can take a look at the Pioneer deh-p790bt/7900. It has aux/usb and is Ipod ready. It also has BUILT IN Bluetooth. The buttons and screen is also blue to match your interior.

What else can you ask for?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

You can take a look at the Pioneer deh-p790bt/7900. It has aux/usb and is Ipod ready. It also has BUILT IN Bluetooth. The buttons and screen is also blue to match your interior.
What else can you ask for?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Thanks for the reminder about the Pioneers. I had stayed away form them in the past mostly because of some friend's experiences which had been less than favorable, and had read the BT did not work as smoothly as I would have wanted. That said, I am open minded and will look over them, so thanks for the reminder ( though the 7900 appears to need a USB adapter similar to what the Alpine 9887 needs ).

I am intrigued by the Alpine 9886 though I'd like to know more about the PXA-H100 and it's expected cost. The one thing i like about the 9886 is the built in USB ( rear input ), and with the PXA-H100 it seems very close in specs to the 9887. Might be another option.

Since I am already using an Alpine Sirius tuner, Alpine does have the convenience adge though it's not that substantial. Thanks again for the Pioneer link.. I'll do some more reading //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks for the link and the time you took preparing the review. Very well done and appreciated.

I'm still seeking any information on how well the bluetooth conections work ( ease of use, how well they do what they claim to do, etc ).

It sounds like the iPOD features work well though I'm still leaning toward a simple USB device if I can as I just don't have any need for an iPOD other than mass storage of mp3's for the car. Course, if the interface is very good and works a lot better than a USB drive ( flash or hard drive ), then it may be justified. I'll still have the CD for more critical listening.

I'm also becoming very intrigued with the 9886 snce it has built in USB and a different Imprint unit. Not sure if it would end up being any less expensive overall but it does offer a different route (PXA-H100 unit ). Thanks again!

The blue tooth for alpine is getting TERRIBLE reviews; many people are getting terrible echo's on the recieving persons end, sounds fine to you, but not to them. This is the only reason I haven't gotten it for my 9887.

The blue tooth for alpine is getting TERRIBLE reviews; many people are getting terrible echo's on the recieving persons end, sounds fine to you, but not to them. This is the only reason I haven't gotten it for my 9887.
Not saying this is the case BUT it could simply be a case of having the volume turned up too high. When using my Jabra 350 BT headset ( which uses an open ear design, more comfortable but less shielded ) I have to be very careful to turn the volume down such that the other person isn't hearing an echo. If I uses my NexGen head set, which has an ear canal piece, I don't have this problem. Same happens when I talk with my sister-in-law.. I hear a constant echo over my head set.

It really is a catch 22 to a degree in trying to have a mic which is somewhat monidirectional and not picking up the sound form the speakers, though my fiance's Acura TL, which has a factory head unit with BT, doesn't seem to have a major issue with echoes though again she doesn't listen to music/calls all that loudly. I do hear road noise over the calls at times though.

I wonder if mic placement could have any bearing as well. Would be nice to hear from someone who is having good luck using the BT and what they had to do, or if other head units have a better success rate. This is one of the biggest reasons for my desire to change head units ( other than losing the blue lights on my 9835.. the greens and reds work perfectly fine so go figure ).

Thanks again for the follow up.. is appreciated!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.