Alpine cda 9887 crossover/parametric settings?

Participant count
  • Participant list

azphat12
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Tulsa, OK
Ok I am still searching for answers, but figured I would throw up a thread to see if anyone has or is in the same boat...

Crossover settings...

I am wondering what people set there Low/Mid/High settings too. My bass from subs is ok, but I think my midbass is lacking. I have a Rockford Fosgate T600-4 powering 2 sets of Boston Acoustic SC60 component speakers. My amp is rated at 140 watts x 4. The speakers are 65 rms.. I know I am overpowering abit, but they sound really loud...just the bass is lacking. I think the crossover might be too high?

Parametric settings...

Clueless on this. I know there are 5 bands. I can go into each band and set them for different frequencies....however.....I dont understand the slope (or is that on xover?) and the Q settings. it has 1, 1.5, and 3 I believe.

Basically does anyone have these settings and care to share what they have and why? I can maybe mimic what you have, then that will be a starting point perhaps.

I cannot find a true Alpine forum.. anyone know what the URL is? Google has given some good hits, but its still abit confusing. I have read alot of people do not like this deck until they get the hang of it, lol. Personally I like it so far, just need to set it right.

Thanks in advance for any help! Really do appreciate it!

low 18 db/oct. @ 80hz, mid-h 12 db/oct. @ 80 hz, mid-l 18 db/oct. @ 4khz, and highs at 4khz with an 18 db/oct. slope. I believe thats how mine is set. The Q is the shape of the EQ curve, you might just want to stick to the graphic eq if you dont understand how it works

The q like he said is how wide the eq curve is for instance say you set the first eq point to 120hz if you set the slope to 1 (I am guessing that is the steapest slope) it will only effect let's say the fz 110-130hz where as if you pick 3 it will efect 90-150hz I hope this helps you and like he said must subs you want to play up to 70-100hz this depends more on how well the midbass drivers play lower fz's a larger driver will play lower better as for your tweeter to mid it is more dependent on your tweeters response on where you x it over at and know that some times you may find that you will like the sound of the tweeter having a steeper slope than the mid so you have your mid at 4,000 hz at 12 db and your tweeter at 4,000 hz at 24 db the 12,18,24db means that in one octive 2x or 1/2 the fz (1 octive from 4,000 hz would be 2,000 or 8,000hz ) will be that many db quieter so 24db will be a steaper slope than 18 and 18 will be steaper than 12 db. Does this help you understand check out bcAe1.com if it still up that may help you.

Adjust the crossover on the T600-4 and don't focus so much on the head unit crossover. The T600-4 has a crossover setting from 50 hz, 60hz to 110hz so adjusting the crossover on the amp to your liking for the midbass is crucial. The crossover setting will be a little lower than what you are used to but the midbass will come out. I had the same problem on my T400-4 until I spent about 30 minutes playing with the crossover setting on the amp. Once I moved the hz down a notch or two my vocals and midbass have never sounded better.

The head unit can go on full pass? If that is what your talking about I will have to find it in the manual then. I know the amps can

low 18 db/oct. @ 80hz, mid-h 12 db/oct. @ 80 hz, mid-l 18 db/oct. @ 4khz, and highs at 4khz with an 18 db/oct. slope. I believe thats how mine is set. The Q is the shape of the EQ curve, you might just want to stick to the graphic eq if you dont understand how it works
I will give this a try and see what happens. Thanks!

The q like he said is how wide the eq curve is for instance say you set the first eq point to 120hz if you set the slope to 1 (I am guessing that is the steapest slope) it will only effect let's say the fz 110-130hz where as if you pick 3 it will efect 90-150hz I hope this helps you and like he said must subs you want to play up to 70-100hz this depends more on how well the midbass drivers play lower fz's a larger driver will play lower better as for your tweeter to mid it is more dependent on your tweeters response on where you x it over at and know that some times you may find that you will like the sound of the tweeter having a steeper slope than the mid so you have your mid at 4,000 hz at 12 db and your tweeter at 4,000 hz at 24 db the 12,18,24db means that in one octive 2x or 1/2 the fz (1 octive from 4,000 hz would be 2,000 or 8,000hz ) will be that many db quieter so 24db will be a steaper slope than 18 and 18 will be steaper than 12 db. Does this help you understand check out bcAe1.com if it still up that may help you.
I think I get the basics of it. I can see graphs and how the curve gets wider to cover more. Just applying that correctly is the challenge, lol. I will sit down with it today and see where I get and post back with what I found. Thank you!

No problem I just figured it is easier if you have a basic knowledge of what is happening when you adjust stuff difrent ways rather than just trying random combonations blindly. Let me know what you find out because I get to do the same thing myself soon. I jost got the deck myself used off here I'm going to run it with my passive component x over for about a week or two. I am trying not to do what I want to and make a compulsive buy spending 1150 for amps and another 1000 upgrading my electrical system but have a feeling I am going to give in and do so. Sigh I just got the credit cards down to 300 bucks too.

Adjust the crossover on the T600-4 and don't focus so much on the head unit crossover. The T600-4 has a crossover setting from 50 hz, 60hz to 110hz so adjusting the crossover on the amp to your liking for the midbass is crucial. The crossover setting will be a little lower than what you are used to but the midbass will come out. I had the same problem on my T400-4 until I spent about 30 minutes playing with the crossover setting on the amp. Once I moved the hz down a notch or two my vocals and midbass have never sounded better.
Isn't it best to cross the signal at the point closest to where the signal starts? as in the build in eq/x-over in the HU, and so you are eliminating as many stops in your signal path as possible? I would that that this would help reducing noise as well.

That really depends on what has the better x over to in this case inwould agree with you but at the same time it also goes to what one is easier for you to dial it in the way you want. It may be easier to find out what sounds best on the amp figure out where that is turn the Amp back to fullpass and adjust it on the deck with the base point being where you think you were at. My personal reason for doing it at the deck over doing it at the amp is for the fact that your deck you can match the maltple x over points on the amps to me I am playing the guessing game as to trying to setbx overs to the same point

Well I think I made some progress. I guess I should tell you how my system is setup....

T600-4 4 channel

6.5" w/ separate tweeter component in front

6.5" w/ separate tweeter component in back.

I have the 6.5" crossovers inline at each door currently. (The xovers that came with the components)

T1000-1bd mono amp

2 12" JL Audio 12w3v2

Ok, I turned the 4 channel amp to full pass. I turned the sub amp just above 80hz..maybe 90-100 if I was to guess.

On the head unit these are my xover settings...

Low - 0 level - 80Hz - 18 slope

Mid - 0 level - 80Hz - 18 slope

High - 0 level - 200kHz - 18 slope

So far, it sounds better then before. Any advice on if I should alter any of that?

Onto the parametric EQ...

Band 1 - 0 level - 50Hz - Q 3

Band 2 - 0 level - 150Hz - Q 3

Band 3 - 0 level - 400Hz - Q 3

Band 4 - 0 level - 1kHz - Q 3

Band 5 - 0 level - 4kHz - Q 3

I noticed when I turned up the level, that everything in that frequency range got louder. I left them at zero's for now. It seemed to me that on the Q side... a smaller number made less frequencies louder when I turned up the level. It felt that 3 was a broader spectrum....am I wrong here? I do feel my tweeters are abit loud, so I played with the 4kHz level and turned it down to -2. That helped. Overall I think I am getting the idea of how it works. Still looking for suggestions as always though.

I was kind of thinking that the xover slope from my lows to mids is too much. If I kept them both at 80Hz wouldnt it be better to make the slope maybe 6? I do not see a way to use the HU to overlap so I am thinking if these both slope 18 at 80Hz then I might lose some sound at that frequency?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.