Alpine CDA-9886; No sound

WCM3

Hey guys,

So I've an Alpine CDA-9886 head unit sitting around for probably 4 years. I bought it brand new from Crutchfield for an older car and then uninstalled it.

I've tried installing it in two beater vehicles and I'm getting the same result. The unit powers on and goes through everything, but I can't seem to get any type of sound coming from the speakers. I did misplace the original power cord and bought a generic one off ebay. I tried wiring it into both a 94 BMW 325i and a 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee and had the same outcome with both. I also made sure the correct wire was powering on the factory amp.

Could something internally happen to the unit that would cause no sound? I'm sort of out of options and thinking of either buying an actual power cord from Alpine ($15) or a new head unit altogether ($100+).

Thanks,

Mike

Hey guys,
So I've an Alpine CDA-9886 head unit sitting around for probably 4 years. I bought it brand new from Crutchfield for an older car and then uninstalled it.

I've tried installing it in two beater vehicles and I'm getting the same result. The unit powers on and goes through everything, but I can't seem to get any type of sound coming from the speakers. I did misplace the original power cord and bought a generic one off ebay. I tried wiring it into both a 94 BMW 325i and a 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee and had the same outcome with both. I also made sure the correct wire was powering on the factory amp.

Could something internally happen to the unit that would cause no sound? I'm sort of out of options and thinking of either buying an actual power cord from Alpine ($15) or a new head unit altogether ($100+).

Thanks,

Mike

Check the fuses in the radio and if they look fine odds are that unit is fucked

Did you mess with the internal amp switch on the bottom of the head unit?

Maybe try to turn the internal amp on in the settings?

Yea it's possible that you might of flipped the switch on the bottom of the headunit. If it is, it will cut off sound completely because it's meant for adding an external dsp... Otherwise, maybe the ebay wire is bunk? If the switch doesn't work, I would definitely try to get the alpine wire since they're very picky about things like this.

Did you mess with the internal amp switch on the bottom of the head unit?Maybe try to turn the internal amp on in the settings?
They were all set to "NORM", and I think that's where they are supposed to be. Right? I flipped them back and forth a couple times just to make sure but it wouldn't give sound either way.

Yea it's possible that you might of flipped the switch on the bottom of the headunit. If it is, it will cut off sound completely because it's meant for adding an external dsp... Otherwise, maybe the ebay wire is bunk? If the switch doesn't work, I would definitely try to get the alpine wire since they're very picky about things like this.
Yeah I'm wondering if it is the switch. Would rather spend $15 versus $140 to buy a new head unit but don't want to waste $15 if it's something else wrong with the head unit. Hmm..

there also might be a reset button behind the face or somewhere on the unit
Yep there was one behind the faceplate. Hit that a couple times. lol. No luck.

Keep the suggestions coming guys. Maybe there's something internally wrong?

Did you mess with the internal amp switch on the bottom of the head unit?

Maybe try to turn the internal amp on in the settings?
I know I’m years late but this fixed my issue. I had the ic setting off and only had the subwoofer working. Then when I turned on ic the speakers kicked on and sounded amazing.
Thank you!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...