Alpine 9857 and iPod's "GENRE" ......... missing from the HU?

99ways2die
10+ year member

NJ
Hi guys,

My neighbor just got his 9857 (even though I tried to push him towards the 880-lol) and while playing around the HU and it's menus we ran across something weird.

We hooked up his iPod and started to fool aroudn to see what it can and can not do....

Q: is it just us, or is there no "GENRE" selection in the 9857??

On my Pioneer 880 I can simply turn the knob, then select musinc by the usual: artist, song, album.....etc.....and of course GENRE.

On his Alpine we could NOT find the GENRE.

I looked in the HU manual and only found 2 pages referencing iPod; nowhere did it mention full features/etc.

Are we missing something, or is it simply not supported by Alpine??

Thanks.

PS:

You all setup your pods/etc different ways, but for people like me, wholike to que in a "type" of music and listen to various artists/songs within the same category, this feature is crucial. I can't imagine choosing different artists/etc everytime I want to hear a different song in my "heavy metal" collection (for example).

Well i know on my 9856, which is last year's model, the iPod interface works much like playing mp3 cd's. Gotta use the search function to sort through your files and folders. Hope this helps ya.

All the usual seach functions are great ....... IF you want to find a specific song, artist, album........

...but what if you have a singe category of "Rap", then you have your sub categories of all rap artists, with their respective albums and songs in it?

Say you want to listen to 'rap' music only, but from ALL your rap artists.........I can choose "rap" in my Pioneer880 and it will play whatever is in that category.

On the Alpine9857 we could not find that list!

Now, if I have 1000 rap songs, 1000 metal songs, 500 dance songs - I'd really hate to be limited only to search/play by artists or albums (playlists optional).

I hope I didn't confuse anyone with our dilema.

9857 users: can you confirm this for me?

thnx again.

BUMP for the afternoon crew.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

In a related question- how fast is the ipod connection on the alpine? I have an older Premier 860 with ipod connection and it's fairly slow- is the Alpine truly "full speed"?

As far as i know, yes. From what ive been told, Apple and Alpine have a deal where Apple gives Alpine the technology to interface with iPods seamlessly, making alpine's HU's the most iPod friendly units. Alpine, in exchange, gives Apple some cash.

I got my 9857 today, gonna hook up the ipod to it later

I'm personally not too concered about genre, seeing as i have almost 6000 songs of EVERYTHING.

What you could do is just make playlists with the Genre's you want, and name them Rap / Rock / Techno / Disney or w/e. That's easier than freaking out //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

yeah, but not freaking out doesn't help out your goddam post count no0b!
Hah....

It doesn't help me either.

If Alpine's iPod interface was trully 100% integrated it would have "genre" - no?

Comparing b/w the Pioneer880 and Alpine57: Alpine IS faster in searching and list roll-overs. Pioneer's isn't slow, but if you turnt he knob fast, you have to wait a half second for the text to show up (that's IF you turn it fast).

Alpine unit also has a delay (make no mistake), but it seems showrter than Pioneer's.

Could it be b/w of the HU's direct integration (Alpine) (no external box)?

PS:

SO where are all those people with 57s?!

I'd like some input.

;-)

I have a 9857 now. It's the best thing ever with iPod to car connectivity, scrolling is quick, and you can break the list up by percentages. No, there isn't a genre (or atleast I haven't seen it) selection, but you can easily remedy this with a smart playlist of the genre you want. For the best ipod interface you give up many other features that Alpine used to have. Like, time correction, parametric eq, and motorized faceplate. I only recommend this HU if you are like me, and all you listen to is your iPod.

I have a 9857 now. It's the best thing ever with iPod to car connectivity, scrolling is quick, and you can break the list up by percentages. No, there isn't a genre (or atleast I haven't seen it) selection, but you can easily remedy this with a smart playlist of the genre you want. For the best ipod interface you give up many other features that Alpine used to have. Like, time correction, parametric eq, and motorized faceplate. I only recommend this HU if you are like me, and all you listen to is your iPod.
if all you listened to was your ipod, then you got the wrong HU. You should've gotten the 9856. The 57 has an xover and other features, and its display is nicer than the 56,

Both great HU's dont get me wrong //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.