AI Net compatibility on Alpine CDA series?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Anomaly

Hi all, hoping someone can help me with a solid, reliable answer on this... Apologies for the long thread, but I feel it is best to explain the situation thoroughly.

I have an Alpine CDA-9884 that I bought new around 2008. I used its built-in iPod control, but never explored its other capabilities. For a time, it was in storage, and when I started driving semis over-the-road, I found quickly that the stereos in these semis ****. However, I was not allowed to 'install' my own stereo in a company truck in the traditional manner, so I figured out a way to put it in a standalone case so as to avoid that, and made it a lot more portable... Pic attached for anyone who might be interested in this idea...

View attachment 26554146

If anyone is interested in setting up a head unit this way, I will be posting another thread detailing how I did it, and what I used. It's really quite easy. On to my issue...

For awhile now, I have been using this unit just as I used it before, with the iPod control. However, anyone who uses iTunes to update their iPod on a PC knows how cumbersome this setup can be. I have found it to be a huge PITA, personally. My iPod is also an older 2nd-gen, and is getting long in the tooth, having already spit out a hard drive. I am wanting to ditch that in favor of adding SD card capability to the unit. I have confirmed that it does indeed have both an aux-in and an AI-Net controller port.

Now... For safety reasons (seeing as I am driving a 70-foot vehicle that weighs 40 tons), I prefer to use a setup that can utilize the 9884's controls directly, or I would simply get an outboard MP3 player and pipe it in the aux input.

Alpine made the KCA-620M for this purpose when my unit was new, but unfortunately it is no longer available, and used units are impossible to find. Based on research, I am finding that they are not worth the trouble, as they do not support beyond a 2GB and are not really suitable for my setup (the box is quite sizable and clunky, comparable to an amplifier and not very portable).

I have found a solution for my needs, but I cannot find a solid answer on its compatibility with my unit. Attached is a screenshot from its current listing on eBay.

View attachment 26554147

The problem I have is that most compatible models have a surname of R (9884R, 9815R), and so far, I have not been able to pin down whether a standard 9884 is compatible with this unit. Seems to me that AI-Net is pretty standard, so it should work, seeing as that is how this unit connects and communicates. But is it? The only difference I have been able to find is that the 9884R is rated at 50x4 vs the 9884 I have is rated at 18x4. Does anyone here know if AI-Net is a standard, or if European models communicate differently? I would really like to get this thing, but I don't want to spend the equivalent of $80-$100 US on something that's not going to work and I may not be able to return. Thanks in advance...

I believe the Ai-Net is standard for all countries. It's a cable that Alpine specifically made for their brand only. I don't see why it wouldn't work. It's a shame that the Ai-Net cable is considered obsolete now. That is quite a lot of money to spend on shipping for something so simple. Why don't you just buy a newer headunit that has a USB connection? Wouldn't that be much easier and cheaper?

I thought about it, especially since the 9884 I have is low-power (18x4 - SERIOUSLY?), but mine is not a typical setup. I drive a semi over-the-road and I have adapted my 9884 into a CB radio case, using its preamps with a home-theatre system running from the inverter (see my thread elsewhere on this setup). I could certainly do this with a new unit, I suppose, as I have an extra case laying around, but I would prefer to keep the flexibility of this unit, since it has outlasted about 12 vehicles. Any suggestions? My normal brand loyalty is Kenwood, though I have been impressed with the features of this Alpine.

UPDATE: I DID find Kenwood KDC-BT362U units averaging $85-105, apparently this is a 2015 model, apparently the 2016 version is out now (the KDC-BT365U perhaps?) and has driven the 362's price down. Back in the day, I was not a fan of front panel aux and USB due to the dangers of lateral force on these connections damaging the unit. However, USB-microSD adapters are now available that can tuck neatly away nearly flush with the port, holding 32GB or more.

Kinda thinking this is the way to go as the Kenwood KDC-BT362U is also Bluetooth and iPod ready if necessary, it appears the 312 is as well. Can anyone elaborate on this? My 9884 had a direct interface cable for the iPod from the rear case. Are the units I mentioned built this way as well, or do they simply read data via USB? They claim to be able to directly control music on Android devices, is this via USB cable or via Bluetooth?

On further research, Kenwood also offers the KMM-BT312U, which besides having some silver accenting on the faceplate, appears to be essentially SiriusXM added to the 362U, with a few aesthetic improvements. Both have a somewhat flush-mounted USB port, which I would like to simply use to plug in a USB-microSD card adapter, and it would be nice if this setup could fit beneath the sliding cover out of harm's way. Does anyone know what capacities these units can support in that manner? I was thinking either way I can put my entire collection on a 32GB card with room to spare, and it would then be far easier to update it when necessary. Plus the iPod would no longer be necessary, which would be nice...

Truthfully, disc play capability is not that major of a consideration, I don't think I've actually played a CD in years other than converting it to MP3. However, it seems the CD receivers are a bit less expensive, though I can't figure out why? My major needs are Bluetooth handsfree capability (if it can overcome the road noise in a semi - so much the better if it can play/control music on the phone via Bluetooth when not in-call), and the ability to play MP3s from SD card adapted to the USB port, although the ability to play/control music via Bluetooth would eliminate the need for anything else, as I can put a 32GB card in my Android phone.

Another consideration here, I am legally required to use a headset when operating a semi or bus, and I am curious whether these newer units can simultaneously interface with both a headset and a cell phone, using the stereo as a speaker phone? Would make it much easier to hear the other person, road noise is a big problem with this situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.