aeroport clearance

buckeyes#1
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
p-town
I know the general rule is at least the diameter clearance from a wall , running a 8" aeroport and I'm at 3" clearance should I shim this port up ? will it really kill that much bass ? If so what is the easiest way of shimming a port outta the box

There is a guide or diagram on audibles site for clearance... it has 2 scenarios... take a look, it might help... 8" clearance... lol

U have the site
Not at moment... its audibleengineering.com I think... look under port info I believe

Here's the info on an 8" aero...

YaEteK.jpg

Looks like 5-6" is what they recommend... it's all dependent on the flare area and box height I believe

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='buckeyes#1']yeah just got done making some shims ill be at 4 1/2 " from bottom , with a 22" high box[/QUOTE]

Theres an equation to find min clearance for a given size flare to not change tuning... someone else found it and I went crazy solving it but I did it. The search dont work here or I'd find the thread and link it.... sorry. @My63bug might remember.

Googled his username and aeroport and voila'

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/enclosure-design-construction-help/632625-ingenuity-needed.html

So the more clearance from the bottom the better? I could go from 18" port to a 17" port I think it changes in torres from 33 to 34 hrtz

I really think shortening the port will be something that you might like... more peak Spl and with those Zv5's it'll still get low... your call

what sub is this for?

I've always preferred 35hz tuning but it really depends on a few factors such as how the port area changes how flat it plays and the driver itself

not that going from 34 to 35hz tuning will even be audible..

what sub is this for?
I've always preferred 35hz tuning but it really depends on a few factors such as how the port area changes how flat it plays and the driver itself

not that going from 34 to 35hz tuning will even be audible..
12" zv5

Dammit! I clicked on this thread because I thought Parts Express was having a huge sale on aeroports:laugh:

But the answer you are looking for is half the diameter of the port. You have an 8" port so 4" to from port to the inside of the box wall. This is what I was told when I came across this issue years ago and it worked out well.

Dammit! I clicked on this thread because I thought Parts Express was having a huge sale on aeroports:laugh:
But the answer you are looking for is half the diameter of the port. You have an 8" port so 4" to from port to the inside of the box wall. This is what I was told when I came across this issue years ago and it worked out well.
So would more clearance benefit me anymore?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.