aero port help

Participant count
  • Participant list

UCF52
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Orlando
alright, im building a ported box for my JL 12 W6.V1. I am following the exact dimensions from my spec sheet - it calls for two 2.5"x13.6" aero ports. well, i cannot find any aero ports online that fit that measurement, so i was curious if i can use either 2" or 3" aero ports instead. if so, how i would go about calulating the new port dimensions. i have 17.75" of depth to work with. any help would be great!

okay i just want to make sure this sounds about right. box volume is 2.0 ft^3 after sub displacement. PsP suggest to keep the port a port length away from the box sides so a 4" port is out, but the 3" will work just fine. i plugged my numbers into the calculator and it came out with a port length of 3"x8.11". i just want to make sure this sounds okay. btw only one port is being used.

a 3" port is not enough for a 2cuft box
well the box is already under construction so a slot port is out. why is a single 3" port "not enough" for a 2.0 ft^3 box. i dont really know enough about ported enclosures so any help/explanation would be great.

i would reccomend 2 4" ports or a slot port
i would like to go with a single 4" port, but the PsP site says to keep the port a port distance away from all walls (and assume the woofer as well). does this really affect the performance output from the enclosure??

well the box is already under construction so a slot port is out. why is a single 3" port "not enough" for a 2.0 ft^3 box. i dont really know enough about ported enclosures so any help/explanation would be great.
you could get away with it...but the more port area you have the less chance there is for port noise caused by the turbulance. the reason i said to go with a single 4" is because it is a little larger then with the mfg. recommended.

i would like to go with a single 4" port, but the PsP site says to keep the port a port distance away from all walls (and assume the woofer as well). does this really affect the performance output from the enclosure??
this is the "best case" install. the reason for it is due to the flare. imagine the the flare doesn not end at the end of the port but rather continues on. the best case would be to have the "expanded cone" away form any surface as much as possible to allow for the best, "uninterupted" sound waves. they would get "interupted" from hitting the box wall or even the sub. the main thing to concentrate on is the back of the port. this distance is quite important. as for the walls....do the best you can.

the original recommendation was 2 2.5" ports...which would be 39.25sq". a single 3" is only 28.26sq"...but a single 4" is 50.24sq"...go with a single 4".
a single 4" port is only 12.5" of area, i dunno where your getting all of your numbers from

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.