Advanced enclosure building in the midwest

Participant count
  • Participant list

maglito

CarAudio.com Newbie
I messaged a couple members asking this question but thought I'd post a general question on the forum too.
Are there any members here or do you guys know anyone in the Midwest who is reasonably priced and can build curved edge enclosures like this one?

I'm considering doing a home theater enclosure build and I want it not to look like a standard box in my living room.

Thanks!
Anthony

Yes got the message. Unfortunately I know of no one. I would check maybe Chicago? I do know there used to be some real quality car audio install places in that city and surrounding areas when I lived a hour south of there for 25 years. Good luck!

That’s an interesting way to do a kerf. I’m embarrassed that I didn’t think of doing the elliptical corners this way myself. I’m cutting the back of the wood out 90% and bending it into place to do this, which doesn’t always work well with non-square boxes. Neato. Those round cutouts that usually just get thrown away have a new use now.

I have a buddy in the Sheboygan, WI area who does. He frequently travels to Illinois and Indiana. I dont believe he is on the forums anymore but his user name was Audiofanaticz. You can look him up on fakebook as Brian Audiofanaticz Plautz or look for Audiofanaticz LLC

Link to his FB page below
https://www.facebook.com/AudiofanaticzLLC/
Thanks I sent him an email and sent a message to his page. He's done some REALLY impressive work. I don't have a problem driving up north of Milwaukee. Hopefully he is still into the hobby and not priced out of reach. But it looks like he can certainly handle what I have in mind.

Thanks!

That’s an interesting way to do a kerf. I’m embarrassed that I didn’t think of doing the elliptical corners this way myself. I’m cutting the back of the wood out 90% and bending it into place to do this, which doesn’t always work well with non-square boxes. Neato. Those round cutouts that usually just get thrown away have a new use now.

I'm sure you saw his video all about the templates he uses to make those corners:

I'm hopping to build something with a >90deg round corner to sort of mimic my old infinity kappa 8.1 mains.

I need a 22 height front baffle, (total cabinet height 22.5 with 1/2' rubber feet). and total net volume of 4.5cu-ft after internal bracing and driver displacement of .34cu-ft. and the driver has a 16" mounting depth. I want the cabinet with minimal height, reasonably low depth and vary the width of the front baffle and the angle on the curved front corners to accommodate the volume necessary to reach the target 4.5cu-ft net.

That caraudiofabrication.com guy has a really neat method for determining enclosure volume for irregular shapes too:

I'm excited to find the right person to take on this project.

Thanks for the great suggestions so far!

Thanks I sent him an email and sent a message to his page. He's done some REALLY impressive work. I don't have a problem driving up north of Milwaukee. Hopefully he is still into the hobby and not priced out of reach. But it looks like he can certainly handle what I have in mind.

Thanks!

I'm sure you saw his video all about the templates he uses to make those corners:

I'm hopping to build something with a >90deg round corner to sort of mimic my old infinity kappa 8.1 mains.

I need a 22 height front baffle, (total cabinet height 22.5 with 1/2' rubber feet). and total net volume of 4.5cu-ft after internal bracing and driver displacement of .34cu-ft. and the driver has a 16" mounting depth. I want the cabinet with minimal height, reasonably low depth and vary the width of the front baffle and the angle on the curved front corners to accommodate the volume necessary to reach the target 4.5cu-ft net.

That caraudiofabrication.com guy has a really neat method for determining enclosure volume for irregular shapes too:

I'm excited to find the right person to take on this project.

Thanks for the great suggestions so far!

It's just math man. It's not hard. With curves like that, usually the designer of the curve knows what it's based on and can calculate volume based off that. With how small your box is, you're talking very small differences here too. Idk, if you look at my design thread, every single piece of wood is accounted for, everything's volume displacement is accounted for. That's just 9th grade high school geometry.

I can have it built and shipped to you, possibly.
I'd like to avoid shipping but depending on the abilities of the fabricator I find if we need plans, I'll come your way. I've seen your thread, it is very impressive. Besides the curved corners and non parallel sides, this small sealed box would almost seem to be a waste of time for someone of your talents.

Did you see this?

I emailed you too.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.