Adding resistor

HNaga
10+ year member

Cairo
I have front speakers 2ohm , I want to add 4ohm tweeters

the installer man told me that I have 3 choices ,

wiring them serial

adding 2ohm resistors to the speakers then wiring them parallel.

replacing both with a component speakers.

what do you recommend? I want to keep the sound quality.

well the last one sounds like the best option to me if you are going to do it. you really don't need tweeters if you already have 3 way components. the first option is probably doable but 6 ohms will lose you a lot of power and the second option i would never do. I would not throw a resister in line of a speaker though with out it you would be running 1.33 ohms on your amp which i don't think it is stable at. if you must do this i would just get another tweeter and wire the two in parallel then wire the speaker in with them in series and you would end up with 4 ohms.

adding another tweeter seems good option till I decide which comp to get

what do you recommend for $200 range comp with Alpine CDA-9887?

If you put a 2ohm resistor in series with a 2ohm speaker running at 40W, the speaker will get approximately 20W and the resistor would disipate the other 20 as heat. So, you would need a resistor rated a good bit higher than 20W. This isn't a good solution.

adding another tweeter seems good option till I decide which comp to getwhat do you recommend for $200 range comp with Alpine CDA-9887?
If you are going to power the comp set from your HU then probably get a low power set like this:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17541

Otherwise you should get a amp if you want to run a good set of comps. There are many to choose from in that $200 range. I've heard these are good:

http://www.audioque.com/aq/AQG-6_5_comp.htm

your installer man sounds like an idiot.

you will need some kind of crossover for the tweeter.. even if it's just a simple capacitor in series... and if you want to be able to adjust the level of the tweeter to the mid you will need what is called an L-pad. Check out partsexpress.

Yes, the resister would dissapate half the load, it would make the amp work harder and lose efficiency for no gain in output.

Wire up a tweeter with a mid range? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Good way to toast a tweeter as soon as you play a song.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.