Adding my own HU. Can I leave my factory HU hooked up to same speakers?

Participant count
  • Participant list

helleau

Here's what I've done already. I replaced the speakers in my 2015 ford fusion with infinitys all around. They are 2ohm (6.5 reference components in front (but still w/factory tweeters) and 6.5 kappa 2 ways in back) but sound fine hooked up to the factory system.

Then I added a rockford fosgate prime 300x4 amp. It matches up well with these 4 speakers that each run at 75 watts RMS @ 2ohms. I cut the speaker wires a few inches from the factory harness and installed 2 of those cheapy passive PAC LOC units, and ran the rca cables to the trunk. Then from the amp, brought the output back up to behind the factory HU and connected to the factory twisted wires going to the speakers.

THAT sounded like ****! I don't know if it's the ohm load or just the lousiness of the signal from the factory HU, but it ain't gonna work!

So I've decided to mount my single DIN alpine BT USB HU in that neat little cubby space under the dash. I KNOW that unit sounds great, and I've already got all the wiring run.

MY QUESTION IS:

Can I connect BOTH the aftermarket HU/amp and the factory HU to the same speakers? Assuming I don't try to use both of them at the same time of course. So, for instance, if I want to listen to satellite radio, I can turn on the factory HU, and then if I want to rock out, I can turn off the factory HU and then turn on the alpine/amp?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.