1995 corolla stereo problems.

Participant count
  • Participants list

needinputj5

VA
I've had this 1995 corolla for a couple years now. The stereo issue was been like this since I purchased it. there is an aftermarket stereo installed that will turn on but almost no sound comes out unless I turn the volume all the way to max. Even then it just comes out of one of the rear speakers and is quiet and tinny. The front speaks produce no sound at all. I had my friend rewhire it right after i bought it and the issue still persists. I've tried a different ground point and that does not make a difference. I'm assuming there is no factory amp to bypass. Could this be just a problem with the head unit itself, or maybe the wires? The rear speakers were relatively new when i bought the car. It looks like the person who installed the stereo just spliced wires into a different aftermarket wiring harness.

I've had this 1995 corolla for a couple years now. The stereo issue was been like this since I purchased it. there is an aftermarket stereo installed that will turn on but almost no sound comes out unless I turn the volume all the way to max. Even then it just comes out of one of the rear speakers and is quiet and tinny. The front speaks produce no sound at all. I had my friend rewhire it right after i bought it and the issue still persists. I've tried a different ground point and that does not make a difference. I'm assuming there is no factory amp to bypass. Could this be just a problem with the head unit itself, or maybe the wires? The rear speakers were relatively new when i bought the car. It looks like the person who installed the stereo just spliced wires into a different aftermarket wiring harness.
Is it a jvc radio ?

nah its a V3 vrcd400sdu. seems like a lower tier head unit
more like a trash/garbage head unit. I'd swap it asap. I'd also run new speaker wire to all the speakers. 1995 would probably run into corroded wires by now. There's a few 100 dollar and under options that are decent with bluetooth, and all modern features and excellent sound quality.

I wouldnt be suprised if the wires were the issue. I had to replace a corroded battery terminal to get the car to start recently. is running new wire to all the speakers fairly challenging? never done something like that before. I'd prob have to take a lot of stuff apart.

I wouldnt be suprised if the wires were the issue. I had to replace a corroded battery terminal to get the car to start recently. is running new wire to all the speakers fairly challenging? never done something like that before. I'd prob have to take a lot of stuff apart.
looks extremely easy for your car. You'll just need to remove the speaker grill on the front and remove the speaker then fish the wire in through the grommet. The rear speakers will need to remove the rear deck. then just run all the wire to the head unit which will you also remove the dash to replace. Sounds challenging but it'll be very easy. Just take your time, look at youtube tutorials if possible.

ok cool. I've removed part of the dash a few times just not sure how to run the wires. Seems like it would be pain to get them into the doors. ill check youtube.

Also do you think the speaker wires would be corroded if the ground and the 12v wires appear to be working fine?

Last edited by a moderator:
Went and bought a new Pioneer head unit today for 100 bucks. Seems to work fine now, I guess the head unit that was in it was just crap. Will probably replace the front speakers soon too.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.