Actual amp power capabilities

slick327
10+ year member

Ok, I am ready to shoot myself. I am having an information overload. It's like trying to cram for a semester final. I have learned from everyone here that a basic way to match up subs and amps is to look at the RMS. So I set out to do just that. However, something has been lost in translation. I have two of these http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=15441 in a ported box, not sure of the dimensions of the port, the box is not quite 3' wide, a foot tall, and a little better than a foot deep, and it holds both the subs. Now, I know I ****ed up when getting this amp http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_10232_Lanzar+MXA282.html

To save some loading time, each sub is 900 rms and 1800 max and the amp is "4000" watts, 1000 rms each channel at 4 ohms and 1650 rms at 2 ohms per channel.

Again, I ****ed up when choosing the amp because I was, at the time, under the impression that I could wire the 4 ohm subs to 4 ohms. I now know better but the damage has already been spent //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Soooo, my question is, will it be safe to wire each sub to 2 ohms and put one sub on each channel even though the said amp is supposidly 1650 rms at 2 ohms. I ask because the sub is rated at a possible 1800 max watts.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dude from what ive seen that amp is overrated and so are the subs, Good equiptment dont get me wrong, Try it out. After impedence rise you should be fine. Just hook it up and keep and eye on them before you crank it up.

Ok, I realize I will not get the stated power from the amp or sub. But in using

the stated numbers,

will it be safe to wire each sub to 2 ohms and put one sub on each channel even though the amp is supposidly 1650 rms at 2 ohms and the subs are only 900

In a perfect world where these numbers actually represent the power. Would it be safe to wire like questioned above?

you'll be fine with the subs wired to two ohms on each channel.

There's nothing wrong with the eternal's. There is probably better out there for the cost, but in a good enclosure they should be impressive.

On budget amps (Lanzar (non-Opti) and those like them) ALWAYS download a manual and look for the ratings. MOST budget brands with at least a SHRED of decency will usually print reasonable ratings in the manual, but put out bogus specs on the website for the retail sites to copy to theirs. If you question the manufacturer about it they will say "our website is controlled by another company and doesn't always have the correct information".

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Anyway - the 282 should do 400-450 x 2 at 2 ohms, OR you CAN wire the subs together for 4 ohms and bridge the amp. The power will be the same.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.