Active X-Over w/ Horns

diesel_kid
10+ year member

Diesel Lover
Hi there, I have been looking through tons and tons of pages of reviews and such for Speakers and I don't have that much money but if I land a good deal I will snatch it up. What I have been reading pretty much tells me that for a good response on any metal, rock, and such horns are the only way to go. I currently have an Alpine 9835 Headunit, Xtant 403A Amp, and an Arc Audio Arc Series 12" subwoofer.

What I would have to do though if I ran my Headunits Active X-Over would run a different amp to each set of components i.e. one amp to the tweets, one amp to the mids, one amp to the Subs. So what I was thinking about doing was just running my horns off of the Headunit Power (26wrms I beleive) Then running the mids off of the first two channels on my amp, then running the subwoofer off of the third channel. I am wondering if this is possible, or would I have to still run my subs and mids off of seperate amps?

As far as an EQ do you think what my Headunit comes with is suffcient enough? This should be all the equipment I need should I not, just the Headunit, Horns, Mids, Amp, and Subwoofer?

Thank you for any and all replies.

-Jared

I thought that horns don't need much power at all, that alot of people feed them anywheres from 10-60wrms? My Headunit is 26wrms is it not? Would it not work?

If I do need a small amplifier, I have a really really old 40Watt 2-Channel amplifier in my shop, its about 4x4x1 inches, but since it is so old, I dont know how much power it would actually be putting out. Would this work to power the horns, I was thinking the Headunit would be better since it is 26wrms, I dont know, I will leave it up to you guys, squeak you seem to know what you are talking about I have read alot of your posts. Thanks again.

-Jared

I thought that horns don't need much power at all, that alot of people feed them anywheres from 10-60wrms? My Headunit is 26wrms is it not? Would it not work?
Doubtful. Get a nice amp for horns.

It's not just the "power" in this case, it's the quality of the amp itself. HU amps, frankly, majorly **** ass in terms of design and build.

Even though horns are low power, it's still best to get a small, quality designed and built external amplifier to power them.

yea agreed from above. can you compare the HU power compared to let's say a brax amp? nope. the build of an amp is extremely important and in this case just get a nice small quality amp to power your horns.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.